Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

X-manga!

Urk. Newsarama's got links up to images of the manga versions of the X-Men.

Actually, I have to admit, I don't think the manga version of Wolverine's that bad. He's much too pretty to be Logan, naturally, but that's kind of expected given that it's manga.

I admit, I'm a traditionalist anyway. I also thought Hugh Jackman much too pretty to play Logan.

...

Wait, are those cat ears?!

Seriously, I can't tell given the quality of the picture but...

Okay. I take it back. Cat ears Egads.

---

I suppose there's nothing wrong with the shoujo Kitty, though honestly, there isn't much about her that particularly evokes "Kitty" to me. Which is weird since cat ears aside, I do think manga-Wolverine does have some bizarre Wolverine-ish quality. Maybe it's just that he gets a more dynamic pose.

But yegads, poor Beast. You deserve better than the amorphous blob treatment!

And I still say the plot: Kitty as only girl to be accepted to Prof. Xavier's school would be better if it were Jean. I know, there's no reason that these sort of adaptations ought to religiously stick to the source, but it seems silly to me that that exact set-up is used for a different character.

Besides, honestly, the original five line-up's perfect for shoujo. You have the slightly mysterious brooding sunglasses wearing one complete with secret rough-and-angsty past, the shiny rich charming playboy, (complete with love triangle), the cute class-clown and the self-effacing genius. I mean hell, Iceman's even going to be in the story.

Admittedly, there's no Nightcrawler as goth. But honestly, Nightcrawler as a goth is a cringeworthy idea anyway.

Though I admit. Mostly it's Cyclops. I think Cyclops was pretty much made to be a shoujo manga male lead. He's pretty (under the right artists), angsty, secretive, broody, slightly bitchy, and repressed. That's not exactly a rare combination in shoujo manga-land. :-)

Heh, I do think the creative team is decent and probably will do okay things with the premise, but I do like to gripe. But still. Goth!Nightcrawler and Totoro!Beast? Egads.

15 Comments:

  • At April 22, 2008 9:22 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    Didn't they alrdy manga the Marvel verse alrdy? :o In that version Wolvie looked a little more like Vegeta and rly cool XD

    I'm personally partial to cat ears XD But then I wear my cat hat with pride! :D (no pun intended) :]

     
  • At April 22, 2008 9:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Oh...my! I'm sorry, but I have just succumbed to a full scale fit of hysterics. I'm not really a manga fan anyway, and...and...oh, the hell with it.

    Bwhahahahahaha!

     
  • At April 22, 2008 11:49 AM, Blogger Mana G said…

    Man, "poor Beast" is right. He's a badger that wears a tie!
    I'
    ve always thought that about Cyclops, too. I've been argiung with my brother for YEARS that Cyclops is my favorite because he can be so very difficult to get along with; like any male shoujo character.

     
  • At April 22, 2008 1:03 PM, Blogger originalslugboy said…

    I like Totoro Beast!

    I could do without another Wolverine adaptation, though.

     
  • At April 22, 2008 3:02 PM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    Aw, I like Totoro!Beast too. XD

    I'm a sucker for manga/U.S. comics cross-pollination, so I'm happy to at least give it a try. ;)

     
  • At April 22, 2008 3:06 PM, Blogger Dane said…

    Wolverine looks okay. Like you said, he's pretty cleaned up, but I guess it's expected if he's supposed to ever have a love interest. He reminds me about the

    Why is it that whenever a western comic gets manga'd that means every stereotype of manga has to get shoved in? Even the stuff that doesn't make sense, like cat ears on Kitty Pride. Oh well. At least it's not Witchblade manga, which would make any sane person want to kill themselves within five minutes of reading it.

     
  • At April 22, 2008 3:27 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I don't actually mind the cat ears on Kitty.

    I mind the cat ears on Wolverine. :-) If ever a man did not deserve cat ears. :-)

     
  • At April 22, 2008 3:45 PM, Blogger Dane said…

    Wolverine has cat ears now? I found this link that I guess shows Wolverine as... a kid? And he has cat ears I guess? Or maybe it's part of the mask?

    http://www.basugasubakuhatsu.com/blog/2008/04/19/del-rey-and-marvel-team-up-for-a-wolverine-manga/

    But then on the link you posted, I can't find the cat ears on him. It just looks like a glare drawn on the hair.

    http://manga.about.com/b/2008/04/21/ny-comic-con-del-rey-shows-wolverine-manga-spring-09-titles.htm

    To be fair, I can't enlarge the image to be sure. Can someone clear this up for me? Does Wolverine have cat ears or not?

     
  • At April 22, 2008 5:00 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    *shrug* I can't enlarge it either. I definitely hope you're right but while the one on the right looks like it could be a glare, the one on the left is harder to tell.

    But yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind being wrong about that. :-)

     
  • At April 22, 2008 5:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/04/22/another-look-at-the-manga-style-wolverine-x-men/#more-7927

    No wolver-cat ears there

     
  • At April 22, 2008 5:05 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Now THAT is a relief. :-)

    Now if only the totoro-esque beast were a trick of the light.

     
  • At April 22, 2008 6:31 PM, Blogger Dane said…

    Out of all of them, Beast has a strange appeal for me.

     
  • At April 22, 2008 8:42 PM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    "Why is it that whenever a western comic gets manga'd that means every stereotype of manga has to get shoved in?"

    I presume it's because those stereotypes are the things that set manga apart from American comics in the minds of the writers and part of what they enjoy about it, so they try to play it up as much as possible.

     
  • At April 22, 2008 10:55 PM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    I like Totorobeast. He's so ADORABLE. He can have some angst, being too cute for the villians to take seriously, or some sort of hug-magnet. I can imagine these stories playing out sort of like the hostess twinkie ad-strips.

    And in issue 2 when that gets old, they can kill him off and the main characters can weep for a story arc :)

     
  • At May 05, 2008 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really don't know whether I should or shouldn't like the sketches.

    Honestly, I LOVE LOVE shojo and the occasional josei. I love the genre to death. And the designs actually look quite cute, even beast, if you don't know anything about Beast. I think they'll do a decent job.

    But I do know....~__~ At least I'm not a hardcore fan. I shudder to think of what they'd do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home