Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, September 24, 2010

Open Letter to Brian Michael Bendis

Dear Mr. Bendis,

I would just like you to know that I'm very sorry that my and many of my fellow comic bloggers' posting styles lack the thoughtful, long form investigative journalism that you'd prefer to see.

Perhaps if you paid us more, we would be more than happy to accomodate your tastes in the future.

Or you know, paid us at all.

But since this is a labor of love, I'll tell you what I've told other people who've complained about the content of my personal blog over the years: if you want to see something other than what I post, then there's nothing stopping you from writing it yourself.

Blogger and wordpress are free, Mr. Bendis. I hope you have as much fun blogging as I do. :-)

Looking forward to your future endeavors,
Kalinara

6 Comments:

  • At September 24, 2010 5:09 AM, Blogger Eyz said…

    "thoughtful longform investigative journalism and critique"
    Well, we're doing it for fun and because we're fans!
    It's not like, we're actually paid to write, ya know?!?
    We got jobs to do in the meantime!

    That guy should try writing better stories instead of pickin' on the internet! :P
    It's not like it will accomplish anything!

     
  • At September 24, 2010 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If Mr. Bendis wants thoughtful, long-form journalism, he should try writing thought-provoking stories instead of hack-jobs that make me want to scrub my brain with bleach, and which would never sell if he weren't crapping on the work of infinitely more talented myth-makers.

    -- Jack of Spades

     
  • At September 24, 2010 3:04 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Well! I don't even know HOW to cut and paste!

    How long and thoughtful should a critique of a mere 22 pages of comic book BE?

     
  • At September 25, 2010 12:09 AM, Blogger ARS said…

    I decided to post my comment. Thank you Kalinara for posting about this matter.

    http://comicsparadox.blogspot.com/2010/09/bendis-is-upset-with-lack-of-good.html

     
  • At September 28, 2010 6:36 AM, Blogger Menshevik said…

    So outside of comics, long form investigative journalism and critique is paid for by the people being investigated or critiqued?

    Seriously, long form critique is certainly present on the internet, but apparently on sites unnoticed by Bendis. As for investigative journalism, others have already pointed out that this is not going to happen given the size of the industry, at least as far as the present day is concerned. Long form investigative journalism re. comics from the past does exist, however, although mostly outside the internet in books and print magazines.

    But a lot of the stuff put out on the web is badly researched crap (Sturgeon's Law, y'know), but is the fact that the writers aren't paid for posting it really a valid excuse?

     
  • At September 28, 2010 7:47 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Not an excuse, no.

    But it's really a matter of "you get what you pay for" really.

    People who do this for free are doing it for themselves. Which means that while you are of course free to criticize (as Mr. Bendis has), the people can give your opinion as much weight as they feel it deserves (as I have here. :-))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home