Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

I Actually Started Catching Up With Comics!

Okay, so while I'm still catching up on comics and have a ways to go, I DID sit down and start Emerald Warriors! (SallyP is very persuasive!)

And oh, yeah! It's good!

Asshots!

Cryptic videos!

Ganthet!

Atrocitus!

And of course! Guy!

Totally awesome. And I especially dig that they're using the Red Lanterns. I find the Red Lanterns really kind of fascinating. Initially I wasn't very interested in them, until I realized how the Red Lantern rage in all the cases we'd seen appears to be fueled by trauma/pain.

It's interesting to look at in terms of the red lantern wielders as survivors of terrible experiences, because rage (directed inward and outward) is not uncommon as a response, but it has to be worked through in order for the survivor to truly recover. Otherwise, it could consume them. And we see that in the Red Lanterns to the point where the red lantern energy replaces their blood. (And there's probably a whole mess of interesting analysis in the image of the Red Lanterns throwing up their own blood.) It literally becomes all that sustains them. It's more tragic than it is scary. (Though don't get me wrong, it can be pretty scary too. But it's more interesting than say the Yellow Lanterns terrorism/bullying.)

Really, I think the Red Lanterns really really need a therapist. Or 100 of them.

But I dig Atrocitus's landscaping ideas. The man does have a knack for atmosphere.

I'm pretty hooked, I want to see what happens next!

3 Comments:

  • At August 15, 2010 11:51 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    It was a heckuva start to a new book. And there are a LOT of butt shots, which is always a good thing. And I loved Guy's snowjob on the Guardians...and his subsequent surprise when they actually fell for it.

     
  • At August 15, 2010 1:56 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Guy's so awesome he even surprises himself!

     
  • At August 16, 2010 3:01 PM, Blogger ARS said…

    Over in Green Lantern they have shown Kitty Red Lantern Dex-Starr's trauma. This Earth Kitty is now at home and Atrocious has sent him to vent his rage. This has made for a sad yet intriguing story pattern as you said. Bleez, the Lantern sent to help Guy had her own trauma from a Yellow Lantern. She should be very interesting as things progress.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home