Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Really?

I'm still a bit perplexed on why the Namor comic is a tie-in to the whole vampire stuff. I admit that one of the things I really loved about the whole Utopia arc to begin with was how it started to incorporate Namor into the whole mutant premise. I really enjoy the interplay between Cyclops and Namor, considering the latter has not only been active much longer but also rules a good chunk of the planet in his own right. It takes a particular kind of skill to get a guy like Namor on your side (even nominally) and work with him without too many power struggles or accidently causing a war or something.

As a Cyclops fan, I thought the Namor stuff really highlighted his ability as a leader in a new way. We knew he could lead a team, but dealing with someone like Namor takes more political finesse and even diplomacy. Heck, even the fact that Namor's derisively referred to him as a "boy king" once or twice is something of an achievement. It's Namor!

So I'm pre-disposed to anything that ties Namor peripherally into the X-world, so long as he still gets to be Namor. (No turning Namor into generic disgruntled rebel tough-guy X-Man #236, thank you.)

But Vampires?

I mean, there are plenty of plots I can see as possibly affecting the ocean world in general or Namor in particular enough to warrant a tie-in. American persecution of mutants for example. Namor's a mutant himself, and leader of a non-human kingdom. It wouldn't necessarily be a stretch to assume that same persecution and paranoia could be directed to his kingdom as well.

Alien invasions are easy enough. Oceans are on Earth. Renegade mutants, sure, if they have powers that influence the oceans, master plans that use the oceans, hidden under-water bases, what-not.

But vampires? Really?

Of course, I say this not having read the comic. But on a whole, do vampires really concern themselves with oceans? Do vampires swim?

I can appreciate him maybe seeing an advantage to helping the X-Men out, sure. But is it really worth it's own tie-in comic, rather than just a quick appearance in X-Men?

To be fair, it could still be pretty interesting. But at the moment, I'm just a little bemused.

3 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2010 3:47 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Hmmmm...I saw this at the comic book store, and wavered about picking it up, since I DO like Namor. Then I saw something shiny, and ended up passing it up. I didn't know that it was tied into the whole Vampire thing going on, which I find RATHER ridiculous.

    So, I guess it's just as well. But Green Lantern didn't come out, and I'm still distraught.

     
  • At August 27, 2010 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm..Alan Moore wrote about water vampires in an old "Swamp Thing" story..It was incredibly creepy and kind of worked fine. I like Namor and he's an interesting choice for the X-men..But Namor and vampires? I'll pass.
    Anna

     
  • At August 30, 2010 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From what I understand, the Sub-mariner faced some very odd threats while his book was being published in the forties. Perhaps its a harkening to the golden age of comics?
    And why would Namor care about mutants? He's a Sub-mariner. The fact that he's a mutant shouldn't be that relevant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home