Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Because Bad TV is fun TV

Willow got me watching Dark Angel again, for the first time in ages. And you know, it's actually not as bad as I remembered. Season 1 is actually half-decent! (Season 2 on the other hand...though between you and me, that virus thing made me laugh my ass off.)

Sadly, Jessica Alba was a much better actress back then. Granted, she wasn't very good at expressing these things we humans call emotions, but it kind of worked for the character. She's good at "inscrutable" at least.

And surprisingly, she does manage a certain amount of sexual chemistry with Michael Weatherly. Considering she had two incredibly hot co-stars in Fantastic Four, PLUS a metallic greek god in the sequal, sniffing after her and managed the sexual tension of cardboard, it was a welcome sight. I spent most episodes going "For god's sake, jump him already."

Logan Cale, by the way, is what you get if you crossbreed Lois Lane and Oracle. Seriously. It's kind of fascinating. Lois with l33t hacking skillz. Also, the inability to shave or stay out of a coma for two episodes running.

It's kind of fun to alternate with NCIS, if you can keep your brain from exploding. I particularly enjoyed re-watching the episode where DiNozzo and McGee meet for the first time and compared credentials. I totally ended up voicing over: "You know, in another universe I was you. Only I was better looking and spent most of my time unconscious."

I kind of dig the whole dystopian future scenario, though it does make my head hurt if I try to think about it too closely. Fortunately, I'm a comic fan and can shut my brain off.

I also enjoyed the way they kept trying to convince the viewer that Jessica Alba's character had superior intelligence. Yeah...no. Sorry. I can buy that she thinks faster and has a better memory, sure. But fast moving fruit salad is still fruit salad. She looked good throwing punches though.

So yeah, I've been enjoying it. :-)

4 Comments:

  • At January 15, 2009 7:42 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    I never quite got how a post-apocalyptic economy could support bike couriers.

     
  • At January 15, 2009 11:39 AM, Blogger ARS said…

    What really got me was that only the area around Seattle was really adversely affected and never restored. I guess after the past eight years I can see how the populace would give up their rights and stuff after something like that pulse thing.

    Alba did do better than some of her later work. I never liked Weatherly really on Dark Angel, he was too whiny. Now on NCIS he is awesome. I still think Kate was the better female opposite for him. Zeeva (sp?) is OK, but Kate was the best.

     
  • At January 15, 2009 3:01 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I actually don't find Logan to be a particularly whiny character. Especially compared to Max, who whines pretty much every episode.

    I do think he's somewhat angsty, but then considering that most of the first season at least, he's dealing with the psychological effects of having been suddenly and severely paralyzed in the first episode, I think it's somewhat more excusable.

    As for the second season, well, he's stuck in a crappy show with an increasingly humorless girlfriend who'll kill him if they touch, and she keeps moaning endlessly about it. So that's another excuse. :-)

    I think also that it was more than Seattle affected, (though it makes sense given all the high-tech companies in the area in the late 90s that that would be hit worse than a lot of other places), I mean heck, there was a "Canadian Black Market." :-)

     
  • At January 15, 2009 9:01 PM, Blogger Matthew E said…

    I never watched it, but I still remember a reference to it on Television Without Pity, calling it "Lippy Lipperson and her crap-ass TV show".

    Verification word: prezooti. What a great word!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home