Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

I need to pay more attention!

...okay, why did I not know about this Sanctuary television show? Clearly my school induced Sci-Fi channel deprivation has cheated me.

Insane Victorian-inspired pseudo-steampunk that includes among other things: Tesla, Jack the Ripper (sort of), Dr. Watson (sort of), Amanda Tapping with equally horrible fake black hair and accent? Young guy who has more chemistry with hot older main character old enough to be his (great grand) mother?

It's like the few bits I liked from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, that one Ultima game where you take a bunch of historical figures to Mars, and other fun things like that.

Also, Peter Wingfield was like my first crush EVER, so there's that too.

I would have to catch the season finale first, too. I had no idea what was going on, but it looked nifty at least. After looking at what Wikipedia says, I think I may have to look into this further. :-)

Honestly, I needed a new tv show that's silly and marginally absurd and takes dimly recognized characters in a new direction. And despite certain people's best efforts, Merlin just doesn't do it to me. It's probably because they're all so damn young. I like being able to at least PRETEND to be younger than some of the main characters on my tv screen, damnit.

8 Comments:

  • At January 10, 2009 1:34 AM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    Actually, Amanda Tapping's accent isn't fake. She was born in England. From IMDB: Amanda Tapping was born in Rochford, Essex in England o­n August 28, 1965. She spent a short time in South Benfleet, Essex, and was relocated to Ontario, Canada, at the age of 3. So, the Canadian influence probably affected her accent as much or more than the English influence. But still...

    The flashbacks have shown her as a blonde, so the dark hair is partly so she isn't as recognizable by people who might wonder why she's not aging. I imagine she's changed her look often over the decades.

    And yes, I've been watching the show since the beginning. It's quite enjoyable.

     
  • At January 10, 2009 1:36 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I stand corrected! :-)

    It does seem like a lot of fun, certainly!

     
  • At January 10, 2009 1:38 AM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    She did such a good job playing an American on Stargate, I'd love to know what her accent really sounds like. Is it how she sounds on Sanctuary, or is it something between that and Stargate?

     
  • At January 10, 2009 5:25 AM, Blogger Avalon's Willow said…

    Sancutary was a made for internet tv show enterprise. Which has now gone on network, so I've gathered.

    I haven't thought of it since I saw it online.

    Word verification: bedgene (very amusing)

     
  • At January 10, 2009 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amanda normally sounds just like she did on Stargate.
    She grew up hearing an English accent though because both of her parents are English.
    As for the hair - she died it brown for the series because it was the color hair that the character has. It also helps to differentiate Magnus from her Stargate character, Carter.

     
  • At January 10, 2009 9:27 AM, Blogger texascheeseman said…

    I find Amanda Tapping with "horrible fake black hair and accent" incredibly hot for some reason. :/

    The couple times that I've caught the show I've really liked it. My sched and the kids make it difficult to catch it in it's Friday time slot.

    I need a Sci-Fi marathon of Sanctuary like they did for Stargate: Atlantis leading up to its season finale. The boss and I had it on the breakroom television constantly for the last two weeks or so

     
  • At January 10, 2009 10:25 AM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    Children do talk by age 3, which is when the bio says Amanda moved with her family to Canada, so I'm sure the Brit accent is coming naturally to her. She probably lost it for her normal speech by being in Canada, and yes, hearing it from her parents was an influence. But so was being in England for her earliest formative years, I'm sure.

    Despite the reasoning to make her look different than Sam, which I had heard, Magnus has been blonde in the flashbacks to when she was young, so the hair color has a story reasoning behind it, as well. One of those instances where something serves more than one purpose.

    I also thought I'd read that the show started online, but had been intended to be put on TV at some point when the timing was right. Of course, now I don't remember where I'd read that.

    Anyway, it's a good show and they'll probably marathon it before the second half of the season picks up. There are a few episodes that I consider "can't miss."

     
  • At January 12, 2009 3:41 PM, Blogger Mana G said…

    I didn't put it on my "silly TV suggestions" list? I was remiss!
    My husband LOVES this show, though I'm a little more ambivalent about it. Sometimes, it's just WAAY too cheesy to me, and a lot of the major plot points, character arcs, and "twist endings" seem like they're not even TRYING to hide how derivative they are. Nonetheless, it really is an enjoyable show, so long as I'm not too picky about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home