Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Kalinara Likes Cartoons

Well, the search for awful Captain Planet episodes is thus fruitless, but my roomate managed something almost as good:

She borrowed the 1990s Fantastic Four animated series. I have vague memories of watching this on tv back then. It's great.

-For some reason I never get tired of Johnny Storm heating a grilled cheese sandwich on himself.

-My roommate and I have taken to singing the theme song at the drop of a hat. Any hat. Reed Richards is elastic...Sue can fade from sight...

-It's so weird to see a version of Reed that actually pays attention to his wife. And is amorous.

-Stan Lee's intros are great. I think it's because he seems so genuinely excited when he describes the events of the episode. It's like...he doesn't love it in spite of the cheese. But because of it.

-"Primrose Popinjay" is the best insult ever.

-That said. Daredevil's hair? Really fucking dumb.

-I don't like the landlady. She's tedious. I want the damn Baxter Building.

-Alicia is pretty funny though.

-Ben, in human form, kind of resembles Guy Gardner to me. In the Warrior non-bowl cut years.

-Ben's dialogue really only works if you imagine Stan Lee saying it.

-Sue needs to kick more things in the face.

-Skrulls = Still funny

-Doom's backstory was entertainingly incoherent. He'd be all going on about his poverty then: "I took shelter in my armored sports car"

-I love comics in that mastery of "old gypsy knowledge" includes robot spiders.

-You'd think villains would realize though. If the heroine is expressing undue interest in your backstory when you've got her boyfriend and her brother imprisoned. She may be trying to stall...

-Reed's ego is intensely amusing.

-The Silver Surfer. Still a tool.

-Galactus doing the equivalent of bitchslapping Doom though. Priceless.

-Needs more aliens.

-And Reed isn't allowed to name things. "Fantasticar."

-Ben needs to stop whining. He's rocky, orange. And dating a hot redhead who doesn't care. Sheesh.

-Though it was kind of WTF when he bought her the elephant.

-He bought the blind girl an elephant.

-Seriously. That just seems wrong.

-What the hell do you do with an elephant in New York anyway?

-Best part of the themesong is "That's ungrammatical"

14 Comments:

  • At January 25, 2007 8:43 AM, Blogger Lapierre Médias© said…

    hello from canada
    your blog is very interesting

    keep on going, i like it!

     
  • At January 25, 2007 8:52 AM, Blogger Rich said…

    Loved that FF cartoon (and oddly fond of the Iron Man/ForceWorks one that aired with it).

    "The Silver Surfer. Still a tool."

    Seriously, when is he not?!?

     
  • At January 25, 2007 9:00 AM, Blogger joncormier said…

    When these first aired I didn't get them in my region of Canada, for whatever reason. I tried to watch them when they just came out on DVD after reuniting with Batman: The Animated Series. I couldn't get passed the first episode.

    Maybe if I had a kid or something I'd be more patient, but I think it was just generally a bad idea to watch any other animated superhero cartoon after Batman, which is still fantastic (except that last Batman Adventures year).

     
  • At January 25, 2007 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First thing's first: the voice of Ben Grimm should've been done by the same dude who did the voice of Lobo in the Superman animated series. You know, that kind of craggy voice, and yeah, definite NY accent.
    Of course Silver Surfer was a tool... of Galactus!
    I mean, that's kinda the point, right?
    In the early days of Surfer he out-whined Spiderman. I seriously don't think I could've hung out with him because I would not be able to throttle him. You know, 'cause of the cosmic thing. And I seriously doubt Prozac would've worked on him --again, the cosmic thing.
    Wow, I've given Norrin way too much thought so early in the morning.
    WM

     
  • At January 25, 2007 9:30 AM, Blogger D.Bishop (aka Mr. Allison Blaire) said…

    I actually bought the boxed set last year. The first season and second season are completely different shows in my heart (second season starts with And A Blind Man Shall Lead Them). To me the 2nd season is better than any superhero cartoon outside of anything DCAU. I loved the 1st season when I was little but only watch it now for laughs. My cousin's always joking about the Human Torch Rap. " You just flame on, and on, and on, and on and on."

     
  • At January 25, 2007 9:52 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said…

    I think one of my favorite episodes was when Annihilus and Blastaar both escape from the Negative Zone.

    Not because of the fight scenes, but because Annihilus picks up English by seeing Ben on QVC (or the cartoon equivalent) hawking videos of all his greatest fights, and proclaiming 'It's a lot better than those crummy procelain poodles they usually sell on here!'

    Still remember that, and I haven't seen that show in a decade.

     
  • At January 25, 2007 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Green w/ envy;) Agree all around, later on there's even a Black Panther episode where he doesn't suck. Hell Ghost Rider even shows up once to bitch slap Galactis:) THAT is priceless.

    What can't you do w/ an elephant?:) And as for DD's hair I could tell you a slew of funny hair care stories from frioends who went to the school for the blind in michigan.:) To bad Tony Stark was a piece of work even back then:(

    Stan is the MAN! Carry on True Believers!

     
  • At January 25, 2007 10:59 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I...I've never even seen this! I am so ashamed. It does sound amazing...fantastic even in its insanity. And insanity is always right up my alley.

     
  • At January 25, 2007 12:55 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    Oh, come on - the Fantasticar is the best name in the business. It's fantastic, it's... sort of a car... it was named by a man who Grant Morrison thinks has Asperger's and therefore would have no idea what "cool" was. IT ALL COMES TOGETHER IN SUCH A NEAT LITTLE PACKAGE.

     
  • At January 25, 2007 5:09 PM, Blogger Jack Gonzo, MD said…

    Well Surfer has now gone from tool to the T-1000 in the movie apparently

     
  • At January 26, 2007 12:45 AM, Blogger Erich said…

    Re: the elephant, he was probably inspired by that old fable about the blind men and the elephant...

     
  • At January 26, 2007 5:32 PM, Blogger tavella said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At January 26, 2007 7:47 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    I agree with anonymous: Brad Garrett voicing the Thing would RULE. And John McGinley from "Scrubs" should voice Reed.

    Sue was one bas-ass Malice in the cartoon. I remember her voice was done by the same woman who does the voice of Diane the anchorwoman on "Family Guy".

     
  • At January 26, 2007 7:48 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    I meant "one bad-ass Malice"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home