Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Immediate Reactions to Blackest Night (moderate spoilers)Imm

I tried to avoid spoiling anything major, but some spoilers are unavoidable...

My 14 Immediate Reactions to Blackest Night:

1) Guy Gardner is definitely not big enough to be a frigging linebacker. Yeesh.

caveat: It IS Hal's narration, and Hal IS an idiot. So maybe he just got it wrong.

2) Licking skulls is gross

3) Hal's probably a really awful poker player.

4) "None of us thought we'd ever be envious of Guy Gardner. But here we are."

Hal's a dick.

5) Speaking of, where the hell does Hal get off with that whole monologue?!

Granted, Katma and Jade ARE dead. But, Hal? They weren't YOUR girlfriends. And by the way?

Carol Ferris is alive. Arisia is newly returned from the dead. The only thing Guy has over you right now is the balls to actually MAKE his happy ending.

Go fuck yourself Hal.

6) Wouldn't be Green Lantern if Hal didn't say something stupid.

7) Aw, the scene of Guy, Ice, Fire, Dinah and Booster at Ted's grave is sweet. And I guess I was wrong about Guy and Ice not working out. That makes me happy. :-)

8) I've never much cared for either character before, but Mera and Tempest's disagreement about Arthur's grave is actually really interesting to me.

9) Poor Barry, that's a lot of dead heroes. Ooo, Wes is in that conjuration, and Vibe!

10) Carter Hall = Still a dick.

11) Poor Alfred.

12) As usual, Guy Gardner is the prophet uttering the truth of the universe: "What the #@$%?" indeed.

13) Um. Okay. Did not expect that ending.

14) Awesome.

6 Comments:

  • At July 16, 2009 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had a few of those very same thoughts and in the end, felt it was incredibly awesome. Did you read all the tie-ins? (I thought the Titans prologue was decent too.)

     
  • At July 16, 2009 10:50 AM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    When I began reading Blackest Night #1, I did not actually know whether Hawkman and Hawkgirl survived Final Crisis.

     
  • At July 16, 2009 5:19 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Awesome inDEED!

    Yeah, Hal deserves a smack in his pretty pretty head, for that envious remark about Guy. Bitter much,Hal? Do you really want to begrudge poor Guy a little bit of happiness? You're shacking up with a hot blonde!

    Yes, the scene at Ted's grave made me sniffle a little. I still think that the whole concept of a national memorial held on the day of Superman's death is brilliant.

    The whole bit with the Dibnys was both hilarious and disturbing.

     
  • At July 16, 2009 6:12 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said…

    In Hal's mind, ALL girls are his girlfriends.

    Verification Word: "Gallo", Hal's preferred brand of wine for "romantic" evenings.

     
  • At July 17, 2009 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    2) Licking skulls is gross

    Says WHO?!

     
  • At July 17, 2009 5:55 PM, Blogger Duskdog said…

    I agree with pretty much every point there. It annoys me that they keep referring to Guy as a football player and not a teacher, and he's not really big enough to be a linebacker, no. Hal is a dick. Hawkman is a dick ("It's all about ME, not Ray!")

    I've never cared anything for Tempest either, but this and the newest issue of Titans has me interested, too.

    The only smart thing I think Hal said was his analysis of why John and Katma got together. Granted, he probably only thought of it because John told him one day or something, but I had never thought of it that way before and it probably is pretty accurate. Just one of many reasons, anyway.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home