Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Want a Metroid Movie

I was thinking recently about video-game based movies. And how I can't, off the top of my head, think of a single one that was actually good. Being a woman of occasionally wretched taste that I am, it shouldn't be surprising that there are quite a few that I found ENJOYABLE (For example: Street Fighter, Dungeon Siege, Doom, or Super Mario Brothers) but I can't think of any I'd call GOOD.

That said, I look forward to them everytime. Like the vast majority of comic book movies (that aren't Bat-related) they're usually a blast anyway.

It occurred to me recently though, the video game based movie I most want to see: Metroid. Not because I've played the games (I tried, I sucked royally) but because, well, let's face it, Samus Aran is awesome.

I might have sucked at the game, but I remember the sheer glee I felt when I found out that the favorite hero of one of my childhood nemeses, the kind that would argue that girl heroes were never as cool as the boy heroes, turned out to be a girl herself! (This being a time before the internet, so that sort of thing could remain a surprise for a few years.) I'm pretty sure he got over it by the time he discovered puberty and a new appreciation for the whole bikini ending thing. Heh.

So yeah, I would totally watch a movie. Girl + armored suit thing + explosions = can't go wrong!

What video game movie would you want? Or conversely, dread most? :-)

7 Comments:

  • At July 15, 2009 2:21 AM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    I love two of the three Resident Evil movies, also fortified with girl power.

     
  • At July 15, 2009 7:59 AM, Anonymous Eye-Roller Lass said…

    I still want to see Mah Jong, The Movie.
    (I'm old.)

     
  • At July 15, 2009 8:44 AM, Blogger Jer said…

    See the most: Metroid. You already covered it but it bears repeating. Metroid is an awesome setup for a movie and Samus Aran is a kick-ass character. The only down-side of a Metroid movie is that because of the look and basic plot summary would draw comparisons to "Aliens" and would probably end up looking like a knock-off (and to be fair, I always figured that Metroid grew out of someone inspired by the movie Aliens at some level - especially in the monster designs and names).

    Dread the most: Legend of Zelda. It could be a cool movie, but it wouldn't be. There's no way anyone would devote the budget needed to do it right. Anytime I hear rumors of a Zelda movie I start to cringe in horror - it could turn out to be better than the Dungeons and Dragons movie, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

     
  • At July 15, 2009 9:05 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Tetris.

    Alien blocks raining from space. It's like Armageddon, but Russian.

     
  • At July 16, 2009 3:27 PM, Blogger Rocketlex said…

    I'm an aspiring screenwriter myself, and I've always had a desire to write a Metroid movie. That or Duke Nukem. :p

     
  • At October 11, 2009 4:06 PM, Anonymous bace said…

    samus aran has always been my favorite game hero she is so cool i think that a metroid movie would be totally awesome

     
  • At September 01, 2011 4:58 AM, Anonymous Absolom said…

Post a Comment

<< Home