Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, January 26, 2009

An Action Figure Desire

Do they make any toys like Stretch Armstrong nowadays?

If you don't know what Stretch Armstrong is, it was a toy figure in the 80s (possibly earlier I suppose, but as I was born in 83 and am too lazy to look it up, I'm basing this on my own recollection) that was made of some weird goop so that you could stretch his limbs out really far and do silly things with them.

I always wanted one, but never got one and thus had to play with my next door neighbor's.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if there's something like that now. Mostly because I'd like to get three, dye one's clothes blue and give him grey temples, dye another white, and a third red with a pair of barbie sunglasses. Then I would stretch them out and tangle them into a big ball of fantastic plasticky elongated-ness.

I have no interest in an action figure of Reed, Ralph, or Eel on their own, but give me the chance to make one confused ball of limbs, and I would be overjoyed. I must look into this.

5 Comments:

  • At January 26, 2009 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know that there is now a Stretch Scooby Doo (which seems quite common in the UK at least) in the style of ol' creepy Stretch Armstrong (presumably it exists because of all those shows in which Scooby outfoxed the monster of the week using his famous stretching powers......strange that I don't recall those.....).
    Not quite an ideal start for a Ralph or Plas but if your are thinking about Elongated Dog or Plastic Dog :)
    Actually isn't a dachshund already an elongated dog...?

     
  • At January 26, 2009 9:53 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I don't have the foggiest idea where you could find old Stretch Armstrongs, but I admit to being intrigued by the idea. The Toy manufacturers really OUGHT to create action figures that could REALLY stretch...for stretchy characters.

    However, I do draw the line at action figures that literally burst into flames.

     
  • At January 26, 2009 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, according to the 'Net, Stretch Armstrong first showed up on shelves back in 1978, with a rerelease in 1990. He also had a dog (Fetch) and some bad guys to fight. I remember the Vac-Monster. It was like Stretch, but you could suck the air out and mold it into different shapes.

     
  • At January 26, 2009 9:53 PM, Blogger Canton said…

    My brother had a Stretch Armstrong once upon a time. For all I know it's in the attic somewhere. And it needed patching somewhere along the line. Ol' Stretch was kinda thin-skinned.

    It was... odd. My brother has had a lot of weird toys. (Now I wonder what happened to that one toy truck of his that had a mouth-like grill that opened and growled. There was also one with slime.)

     
  • At January 28, 2009 9:11 PM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    We had a Vac-Monster in the 90s. Still fun even after we lost the air-sucker.

    You could maybe look on eBay...?

    (Word verification: under. First time I've gotten a real word.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home