Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Without Blog@, I would totally never post

This is kind of neat. I haven't read through them yet, but they look remarkably entertaining. Though not nearly as much fun as reading Chick Tracts. But then, what is?

I love Chick Tracts, by the way. Especially the Dungeons and Dragons/Witchcraft one where the girl kills herself because her character dies in the game. That happens all the time in my RPG group, ya know.

I do like the linked example especially because, and this may well be sacreligious, but it's really a crap illustration of sacrifice. Why not show someone giving a favorite toy to a friend? Or going without a new outfit to help someone else? I really don't think eating food you don't like counts as a sacrifice. Something to endure, maybe, but sacrifice?

Unless maybe it's to pretend to like it to spare the cook's feelings. But then, I'd imagine he/she would hear you tell the Lord you'd eat it for him anyway.

I might be thinking too hard about this. I'm awfully literal minded sometimes which is why I've never done very well in religious education. ("Um, Miss Barbara? Why are we pretending to be cannibals? And why does Jesus taste like cardboard and bad grape juice?")

...come to think of it, wouldn't the Bible make an awesome comic book? I mean there's death, destruction, badassery, rape, sexism, racism, magic and all sorts of fun things like that. It'd be a blast!

Sometimes I suspect that what I ended up getting out of my early religious education was not what I was intended to get from it. Oh well. :-)

6 Comments:

  • At June 11, 2008 1:27 AM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    I think the eating-sacrifice is the ol' "there's starving kids in Africa so eat this nice meal your mother prepared for you" idea.

     
  • At June 11, 2008 4:23 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    I'm pretty sure there are more than a few bible comics. Especially evangelical ones...

    As for Chick, I used to be amused in a superior kind of way until reading Lisa. After that I was just disgusted...

     
  • At June 11, 2008 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We had a rather extremist religious group pop up on my college campus and at some event they were giving out Chick tracks (yes, in the 90s) and yet they somehow "lost" all the D&D tracts when one of my gamer friends went up and specifically asked for one. They were fine handing it out when it was a "warning" to people or whatever, but when confronted by a take-no-shit woman who could describe the contents of the tract, they freaked out.

    By the way, mentioning racism in the Bible totally reminded me of the
    Good Samaratan
    sketch from Mitchell and Webb.

    lurkerwithout, holy @#$% that Lisa tract is creepy. So when the friend talks about the "gossip" and says his tastes are "kinky" he means... ewwww?

     
  • At June 11, 2008 2:00 PM, Blogger Mana G said…

    There's a manga of the Bible -- My sister and I found it at Barnes & Noble one day when I was buying her the latest Fruits Basket , like the totally rad big sister I am. I was tempted to buy it, as it seemed equal parts bad-ass and completely absurd. Behold!:http://www.themangabible.com/index.asp?module=Pages&action=List

     
  • At June 11, 2008 4:25 PM, Blogger Tom Foss said…

    ...come to think of it, wouldn't the Bible make an awesome comic book? I mean there's death, destruction, badassery, rape, sexism, racism, magic and all sorts of fun things like that. It'd be a blast!

    Yeah, but a good 2/3 of the series would be worse continuity-explanation than "DC Presents: Donna Troy," explaining who begat who and when and how often. And can you imagine the continuity disagreements?

    Chick Tracts are great for learning logical fallacies. You're basically guaranteed more than one in every panel.

    This one is my favorite, by the way :). Right up there with "Who Will Be Eaten First?"

     
  • At June 11, 2008 8:20 PM, Blogger Cami said…

    http://www.holybibble.net/

    Which provides a lot of laughs. Not the comic you were thinking about, probably, but still a fun read.

    There was a comic book version of the bible... or more of a graphic novel type, that my old Religion class used with me. Of course, meant to instill in me a sense of wonder.

    I always wondered how we knew what Jesus looked like .__.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home