Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, June 06, 2008

My Anti-Trinity:

Scipio's got an interesting challenge on the Absorbascon:

You must select an "anti-Trinity" of villains to oppose the Trinity of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. You may not use the obvious choices (Joker, Cheetah, Luthor), but you may use anyone else, resurrecting them if need be.


I think personally, I'd pick Harvey Dent/Two-Face for Batman. I don't actually recall if he's heroic or villainous at the moment, but I've always liked the way his divided nature kind of parallels Batman's own schism between Bruce Wayne and Batman. His part of the story would be more psychodrama, I think.

For Wonder Woman, I'd probably pick Dr. Psycho. I think his powers are an interesting counterpoint to hers and given her bondage elements and his hypnosis, it might be interesting to examine some themes of control, power and responsibility. With asskicking, of course.

Superman's hardest because Lex is such the quintessential villain, but I think I would go with General Zod. I like playing up Superman's ties to his home planet versus his adopted planet. Is he an isolated kryptonian on Earth, or is he more a human with near godlike power? I've always liked that sort of thing. It's like the ultimate nature vs. nurture debate. So I would want to use the big Kryptonian villain to play with that.

So yep, I think those would be my anti-Trinity. I'm overfond of amateur psychobabble with my asskicking. :-P

6 Comments:

  • At June 06, 2008 1:46 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Ra's Al Ghul for Bats. I was going to go with Brainac and Ares. But it should be someone who would fit with Al Ghul. So we'll go with Circe and hmmm. Why are none of the major mystic baddies Superman foes? How annoying. I want an immortal and/or mystic thats associated with Big Blue and I can't think of one...

    Oh well. The other two can Parasite as a partner/lackey I guess. Or maybe SMART Parasite when he had a genius dude in his head like Firestorm used to...

     
  • At June 06, 2008 3:19 AM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said…

    Tough choice. The Joker and Luthor really are the most perfectly thematic flipsides to Supes and Bats' respective coins.

    Hmmmmm . . . I say Ares, General Zod and Ra's Al Ghul. Three military mindsets - one God of War, one Kryptonian General and one nigh-on immortal with an army of fanatical assassins. Given their ability to strategize and the relative weak link of Superman - which is to say his lack of preparation for the worst that can happen - the battle might be over before it even begins.

    And as fun and/or powerful as I think Darkseid, Doomsday, Circe, Dr. Psycho and Poison Ivy are, I don't think they work terribly well with others. :)

     
  • At June 06, 2008 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Why are none of the major mystic baddies Superman foes? How annoying. I want an immortal and/or mystic thats associated with Big Blue and I can't think of one..."

    Arion played a big part in Superman comics last year.

    My choices would be...

    Wonder Woman: Loki.

    The Norse pantheon isn't used much at DC, so this is fresh ground. I'd go with a more accurate adaptation on Loki than Marvel; more like Neil Gaiman's. This match is sort of a truth versus lies thing.

    Batman: Grodd.

    The height of human perfection against an enemy that considers all humans equally inferior to himself. Both combine physical prowess (Batman's martial arts and strength training, and Grodd's naturally stronger body) with intelligence (Batman's skill at strategy, among other things, and Grodd's scientific knowledge and psychic abilities).

    Superman: Kilg%re.

    Both are aliens with immense power. Superman inspires hope and does his heroics in public, Kilg%re spreads confusion and subtly manipulates from the sidelines. Superman loves his adopted home world and wants to protect humanity at all costs, Kilg%re considers humans to be a threat to its very existence and wants to wipe them out. Plus, I like writing the name "Kilg%re".

    All three villains work through trickery and manipulation (or in Grodd's case, outright mental domination). I'm not sure they would be able to work together very well, but that could be another contrast to the good trinity.

    -Phil

     
  • At June 06, 2008 8:48 AM, Blogger Jer said…

    Circe, Bizarro and Man-Bat are the first three that came to mind for some reason. I can actually imagine how that one would play out (actually that might make for a neat RPG scenario for a convention someday - hmm...).

    Mr. Mxyzptlk and Ares also came to mind, but I wasn't sure who would be able to join them from Batman's side of the house to form an "anti-Trinity". Joker would be the easiest to work in there, but he's disallowed. Ra's al Ghul might work nicely. I could see each of them thinking that they're using the others for their own plans (that would actually make for an interesting "villain switch" storyline, come to think of it).

    Hercules, Maxima and Catwoman. Just because, that's why.

    Paula von Gunther, Killer Croc and Metallo - for a nice "mastermind plus goons" mix.

    Brainiac, Giganta, and Clayface - for another nice "mastermind plus goons" mix. One that uses Giganta - possibly the best Wonder Woman villain ever.

    And for real fun: The Atomic Skull, Maxie Zeus, and Minister Blizzard. I'm not exactly sure what kind of story you'd get out of that, but it should be hilarious.

     
  • At June 07, 2008 1:27 AM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    I like your Psycho/Wonder Woman pairing!

     
  • At June 07, 2008 5:03 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Egg Fu, Penguin, and Terra-Man. Just for the hell of it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home