Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Reaction to MK Batman...

Thank you Blog@Newsarama and my own love of gratuitous comic tie ins for the topic of today's post. :-P

I have to say, honestly, I hate this Batman design.

I like the costume and the colors, mind, but the figure just looks absolutely ridiculous to me. I don't mind muscles, but it looks so...blocky to me. The facial expression could be good, but something about the body looks so incredibly off.

Which is a shame because I think the Superman image is stunning. Still exaggerated proportions, of course, but it looks more...

I'm not exactly sure what word I'm looking for, but I like it a lot better than the Batman version. (Though, to be fair, it's pre-rendered CGI, so perhaps it will look much better later.) I suppose that makes Diana the tie-breaker. I wonder what they're going to do for her... I've always liked the character designs of the MK ladies, so I've got high hopes. :-)

6 Comments:

  • At June 07, 2008 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's the way MK designs chars- that's MK art style. The closest fighting game company to standard comic book to me would have been SNK, and they had no interest in the project many years ago (but they were bankrupt then). Capcom would have made them look too anime-ish.

    I think I heard a decently attributed rumor that had some of the other chars in the game- one Green Lantern, one Flash, Hawkman, Power Girl were in the game.

    Also said specifically due to legal reasons, no Fawcett or Quality chars can be in the game (so no Blue Beetle or Marvels)

     
  • At June 07, 2008 11:52 AM, Blogger Kynn Bartlett said…

    Huh, interesting! Because I actually really like that Batman, compared to a lot of them I've seen. I think that Batman looks great, and I was prepared to hate it.

     
  • At June 07, 2008 1:04 PM, Blogger Jer said…

    I don't know about you Kalinara, but for me it's all in the poses and shading. Batman's right arm looks like it's out of joint, his shoulders are at an unnatural angle, his legs look ever-so-slightly wrong, and the shadows on his abs make him look like an action figure instead of a character model.

    In contrast, Superman's pose is dead on Superman. It looks like the arms and legs are falling in a natural position for flight, his cape hangs fairly naturally, and the shading doesn't have those elements that make the back of my brain immediately seize up and scream "BAD CGI SHADING!!!!".

     
  • At June 07, 2008 2:54 PM, Blogger Dane said…

    Batman's chest looks too puffed out, and I think his neck should be a bit longer as well.

     
  • At June 07, 2008 8:14 PM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said…

    The way they've designed him, it's like his muscles aren't muscles, but rather body armor - like Keaton in the first Batman film. This bothers me as well but I'll have to see how the design actually moves in gameplay before I make a final judgement.

     
  • At June 08, 2008 7:01 PM, Blogger Tommy! said…

    I think the design looks pretty good. I like the fact that it's the "comic book" version. It's just the GAME that I have a problem with. I think it will be loved more by MK fans than people who like Batman. But, to be honest I haven't played it yet so we'll see.

    BATMAN FAN? Visit The Bat-Blog!
    http://www.bat-blog.com

    Thanks, Tommy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home