Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Runaway thought.

I want to disclaim this by saying that I've thoroughly enjoyed the issues of Runaways that I've read and am not trying to disparage the writing/plot/characters or anything like that. It just occurs to me...

The whole "runaway-kid" concept/theme is a bit funny when you consider that most of those kids at least appear to be about 16-17. (I may be mistaken about their ages, do correct me if I am.) That's only a year or two away from legal adulthood. I know personally I was by no means ready to strike out on my own at age 18, but personal maturity aside, I was certainly legally an adult. I don't know if you can really be THAT much of a runaway kid when you're on the cusp of adulthood.

It's also interesting considering the Marvel Universe, Kitty Pryde was younger than that when she became a full X-Man (though to be fair, she did have a mentor), for that matter Scott Summers and company as well as Peter Parker was about the same age when they became the X-Men and Spider-Man the first time. Heck, if you get down to it, Bucky Barnes was that age when he partnered with a Steve Rogers that was only four years older.

I find the Young Avengers kind of interesting in this respect as well, since while most of the Avengers seem to have started their hero careers (like most of the non-sidekick/sidekick-team-derived DC characters) well into their undefined twenties or even thirties, most of the other Marvel heroes seem to have started a lot younger.

Again, I really like the concept of Runaways, especially the whole kids of villains thing and us-against-the-world, I just think if I'm looking at it critically, there's only one that really fits my own personal idea of a "runaway kid" as opposed to a young adult striking out on their own, for perfectly legitimate reasons, a bit earlier than most.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept behind it and the us-against-the-world and kids-of-villain thing is neat in and of itself. And it's certainly not a deal breaker keeping me from enjoying the comic (my WALLET is the deal breaker right now. :-P) it's just a mild bit of cognitive dissonance I have.

6 Comments:

  • At June 18, 2008 2:03 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    exact ages of the characters, but from what I do remember, Chase is the oldest (and still supposed to be in high school) with Molly as the youngest (I think around 12 or 13 though she acts younger). I think the rest are supposed to be around 16, though I'm not sure on that. And who knows what age Xavin is...

     
  • At June 18, 2008 6:50 AM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    OK, let's see...

    When the series started, the main group was 14-15 (despite looking rather full-grown) and Molly was 11.

    As of the current issues, Chase is barely turned 18 (plot point in story), Nico and Karolina are 17 and Molly is 14.

     
  • At June 18, 2008 11:04 AM, Blogger Nick said…

    Totally random: Impressions of Whedon's run on Runaways?

     
  • At June 18, 2008 12:04 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Honestly? Haven't read yet. The ones I remember reading were all various points of Vaughn's run which I enjoyed. I hope to start collecting again, when my wallet can afford it. :-)

     
  • At June 18, 2008 6:23 PM, Blogger Simon (formerly Johnny Sorrow) said…

    I think the point is less their ages, as the idea that home is no refuge for them-- that they have no Pa Kents or Aunt Mays to mentor or protect them.

     
  • At June 18, 2008 9:03 PM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said…

    Must . . . resist . . . making . . . negative stereotype-perpetuating comment . . . about irony of . . . marketing teen runaways . . . to 30-year-olds . . . who still live . . . in their parents' basement!

    *facepalm*

    In seriousness, Runaways kicks a major amount of ass. It's one of my favorite titles out on the stands . . . whenever it actually manages to be put out on the stands, that is (egads, I'm in a mood today).

    And I agree with Johnny Sorrow. The runaway thing really has less to do with age for me than it does with the fact that they have literally no home to go back to anymore. Plus, I think Molly acts young enough to pick up the slack for the entire group. :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home