Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Nostalgia Collision

I'd heard they were making a Baby-Sitters Club comic a while back but never really looked at much about it.

It's a weird thought for me. Like I've said before, I'm a relatively new reader of American comics (though I've been reading manga longer) but I remember reading these books when I was too small to realize how implausible their dialogue/situations/adventures were for twelve and thirteen year olds. (I remember in fact, being disappointed that turning twelve and/or thirteen was not this amazing doorway to maturity, beauty and wild trips to New York or California that the books of my childhood promised. What a gyp!).

Once you get past a certain point, the books really don't hold up well. Scrutiny and logic are the enemies of nostalgia, I'm afraid. But I am extremely curious about what the finished product will be like.

The series was so 80s/early 90s that I can't imagine it as a comic. I really can't. I can't picture certain characters without the perms or day glow orange socks or anything like that.

Which means I have to find this comic. It's gonna be a *weird* experience.

7 Comments:

  • At May 17, 2006 9:10 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Oh god, Bridge to Terabithia, I remember that book. One of that grand cliche of "exploring death" young adult novels.

    I remember the one my mom made me read with the black berry bushes and the main character's best friend getting stung to death by bees.

     
  • At May 17, 2006 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember a book called The Underground City....the city was called Surreal...actually named Surreal.

     
  • At May 17, 2006 1:35 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Huh. Weird.

     
  • At May 17, 2006 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've never read the BSC books, but I picked up the GN because Raina Telgemeier's work on her mini-comics really impressed me. She's got a great sense for visual storytelling.

    I'll actually read and review this GN eventually...

     
  • At May 17, 2006 4:45 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Sounds like fun, I've always liked reading your reviews

     
  • At May 17, 2006 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Completely off-topic, but...

    http://www.thegreatcurve.net/2006/05/50-best-dc-characters-you-tell-us.html

    ...Power Girl needs our help. Overwhelm the list with the women of the DCU! Manhunter, Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Big Barda, Hippolyta...

     
  • At July 10, 2006 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've actually read this - it's pretty good, with a wonderful art style and a smart decision to combine elements of a few of the stories into this one volume.

    The best part? The 80s toy references still fit, thanks to nostalgia revivals.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home