Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Because it amuses me:

Anyway, so now that I have sources for 1940s slang, I have to decide what to do with it. Figured I'd use it only sporadically for local color, like bleeped out curse words.

But I do think it could be funny, occasionally, to be utterly incomprehensible.

Like in a scene like this:

A generic old-fogey hero and his chirpy young sidekick end up having to get information from a bunch of street-tough wanna-be delinquents, basically an eye-witness statement.

"So before the snitch could snap a cap, the grifter squirted metal in him!"

The hero is completely lost: "I have no idea what you just said."

The sidekick pipes up helpfully, "Before the informant could shout, the conman shot him.
--

Another incident, they overhear someone admitting to a crime.

"So we've got the snooper stringin' like a sucker, but turns out he has plenty enough of swift..."

"Translation?" The hero asks, annoyed.

The sidekick grins. "They tried to swindle the sleuth and he got wise on 'em."

The hero glares at him.

"Sorry, couldn't resist."

---

And at some point, the sidekick should chirp: "Aw, the goon's gone and done a Gooseberry lay, now we'll never find him!"

The hero will give the kid a LOOK.

"Oh, all right. I'll stop now."
---

I think it's funny at least. :-)

8 Comments:

  • At February 25, 2006 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Or you could do a JSA story the other way around

    Let the whipper-snappers be the unhip ones for a change

     
  • At February 25, 2006 6:32 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heh, that could be funny too. Get one of the old guys, or Sand, (he'd be most likely actually, as being a teenager back then, he might be more apt to use the words instead of the ones who were adults...) to confound the kids. (or as a secret code! *gasp*)

    Hee, I'll have to think about that. That could be a lot of fun.

    (:-P Give me ten-fifteen years or so to get myself hired at DC first and I'll put it in a comic book just for you anonymous person!)

     
  • At February 25, 2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Melchior del DariĆ©n said…

    Kal.,

    As I've been thinking, the chances that you'd get rich doing a project like that are quite good: after intital publication, you'd need to put out an annotated edition; a creator's commentary; and even a "translated" edition! (Not to mention the Absolute Edition whcich would contain all of the ancillary material.)

     
  • At February 25, 2006 3:34 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    melchior:

    You always did know how to appeal to my better nature. :-)

     
  • At February 25, 2006 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always thought a character who talks in outdated slang was a good one. In fact, I once built an entire supergroup of villians around that same idea. None of them reach as far back as the 40s (though one would speak in 50s lingo) and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking it's a great idea.

     
  • At February 27, 2006 2:53 AM, Blogger JP said…

    Yes, and the outdated slang-talking superhero should be a hard-bitten PI in 'real life' and bear an uncanny resemblance to Tom Waits! I'd buy that comic!

     
  • At February 28, 2006 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The 40's certainly are the most ageless appealing era, and the best fashion too. (save for Alan Scott that is! hehe:))

     
  • At March 01, 2006 9:27 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    crowdedhouse: Well, too much unfamiliar slang can get clunky and incomprehensible real fast. Readers don't like having to look up everything, so it'd be best to only keep the really confusing stuff to the occasional comedic moment when they're *supposed* to be incomprehensible I think.

    That in mind, sounds like a fun idea. :-)

    jp: :-) Sounds like fun.

    green: Aww, don't be mean to Alan. Takes a real man to have a regal bearing in that getup. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home