Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Favorite Panel-Manga this time:

Yeah, I've criticized manga before and I largely prefer American superhero comics.

But that doesn't mean that I don't like manga, or that sometimes, a particular creator can't really nail an evocative image.

Like this one from Jinjuu Houretsuden 11 (translates to something like Legend of the Man-Beast):

Basically one of the characters (the blond writhing one) has been brainwashed by the bad guy to believe that the dark haired one, a friend, is eeevil. Naturally, at the best dramatic moment, the control breaks:



Now THAT is how to do a deprogramming scene. You can't tell me that doesn't look fucking *excrutiating*.

If I ever write a comic with brainwashing, I'm going to have a scene like that. Seriously. I'll homage it and credit it, but I *want* that scene.

(For the record the writing is basically lines of the programming, and the biggest/thickest font, slashed vertically across the right side of the panel is the character's own speech, which translates roughly to: "Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!")

1 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2006 7:24 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Makes you almost want to ask "does it hurt?"

    Yeah, manga often pulls off really good scenes for emotional content. It's one of the reasons I read a good bit of it, also probably why so many teenagers are pick it up (angst does wonders for the economy).

    If you ever get the chance to pull off that scene in an American comic - more power to you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home