Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, February 17, 2006

Now *this* looks interesting:

Paul Kupperberg's got a JSA-centered prose novel coming out, and it sounds like it'll be pretty damn cool.

Anyway, Jim Beard at SBC has this interview up.

Some quotes that are of particular interest to me:

"Geoff asked to see, for instance, some effort by Sandman, Wesley Dodds, to strengthen his relationship with Sandy, which turned into one of my favorite quiet moments in the book, set in 1945, with the two of them sitting on a bench on the boardwalk at Coney Island, just talking about stuff like Nathan’s hot dogs and their favorite baseball teams, getting to know one another a little better."

--

"The big surprise for me was Mister Terrific. I don’t even recall why I decided to open the book with him. I think it was because I’d come up with a good opening line that worked for him. But once I started with him, he wound up being a major thread throughout the story, both as JSA chairman and the brains of the operation.

--

"So, in the end, this became somewhat Michael’s book...although Jay Garrick gets to own the World War II sequence."

--

Okay, this sounds *fantastic* to me. First, spotlighting *both* JSA's seems like it'll be a blast, I'm always interested in the Modern Age's take on the 1940s. (JSA Returns was such fun!). Second, I was *just* bitching about how wasted Michael seems to be in JSA sometimes, and how I think he's underutilized. Also, a Wes-Sandy scene!

The only way this could be better is if Sand gets a significant role in the Modern-day stuff as well!

And best of all, it's written by a guy who really seems to know what he's writing about, unlike a certain fellow who hadn't seemed to have read any Green Lantern issue after Emerald Twilight.

He really seems to know the material, the characters, and have a great deal of enthusiasm. Best of all:

"I know the novels are not necessarily canon, but I stuck as close to the comics continuity as I could, and I hope, in the end, I’ve contributed something to the franchise."

I can't begin to express my love for this statement right now. I'm not bothered by the occasional deviation from the comics, but they should feel at least *close*. Seems like Mr. Kupperberg agrees. <3 I'm definitely going to buy this book.

Of course, if it's bad, I'm going to rant vehemently enough to make the above linked rant seem nice and diplomatic in comparison. :-) Hell hath no fury like a ticked-off fangirl. :-)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home