Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Saw Aquaman Trailer...

I have to admit, when I first heard about Mercy Reef, I was indifferent. I'm not a big Aquaman fan and well, "Mercy Reef" might have significance to Arthur's origin story, but it rather lacks the name-recognition factor of Smallville.

Besides, there were way too many ways to screw it up, and I don't like the Smallville TV show.

So naturally, I didn't end up seeing the preview until after they've revealed they're not picking it up.

So I watched it.

And now I'm upset! It actually...dare I say it...looks *good*. The lead actor seems attractive and wry, without any of the Smallville Clark Kent's teenage angst. (Setting him *actually* post-High School probably helps). The Bermuda triangle aspect seems interesting, the military makes for a nice complication, and hell...

He seems to talk to fish! Yay!

Here's hoping they end up picking it as a mid-season replacement after all, because by damn it, it actually looks like *fun*!

6 Comments:

  • At May 20, 2006 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Holy blue HANNAH!

    Wow, I didn't even know there WAS a trailer. Yes, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a mid-season replacement.

    I enjoy Smallville, even though it's descended ever-deeper into soap-opera silliness with every season -- but this looks VASTLY better.

    They should have made his father a Coastie, though, not Navy. Not that I'm biased.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 12:01 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    :-) It does look oddly awesome.

    Heh, Coast Guard's not quite as flashy sounding though.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sigh, no love for Uncle Sam's Confused Group.

    And, okay, we don't have the ever-so-cool supersonic jet fighters that figure so prominently in the trailer.

    But still; it's a logical connection for an ocean-going superhero to have. The landlubber heroes tend to work with the police rather than the Army, after all.

    Except for Captains America and Atom, of course.

    Today's verification word: tfdyywq. It sounds welsh.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 12:30 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Aww, this is true. :-)

    And it *does* sound Welsh. :-) It's probably pronounced "eight".

     
  • At May 22, 2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was surprised to see how good it looked - I didn't immediately lash out with a "that's not Aquaman at all!" response, as I had with Smallville.

    Of course, that's probably because I have a very solid concept of what I think Superman should be, and Aquaman doesn't hold the same weight.

     
  • At May 22, 2006 4:02 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Well, there is that. :-) Personally I think a big part that helps setting him college age.

    TV has some very weird ideas about what all teenagers in high school are like. Exaggerating everything to the point where for me at least, it's completely unrecognizable to my own experience.

    Thus all teenagers end up whiny, angsty, brooding, over-sexed and all these other "teenage" traits. When really it depends on the person, and a person that grows up into Clark Kent probably wouldn't be like that. He's got too much of a warm sort of humanity, his sense of humor and rueful appreciation of the world might have developed with age, but have to come from somewhere. Teenage Clark Kent would still have the seeds of those traits and thus wouldn't be the angsty teen of Smallville.

    Fortunately grown-up tv producers don't have nearly as many dumb ideas about college students and twenty-somethings. They're already young adults and forming their own adult personalities, so this Aquaman gets to avoid the teen cliches and just be a young adult instead.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home