Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Passing Thought

I actually find myself enjoying Devin Grayson's Nightwing run a lot more this time around than I did when I initially read it. I mean, there are still parts that I'm not a fan of, and I don't particularly care for her pacing (I think she's got the opposite problem that I sometimes have with Geoff Johns. With Johns, it's like he won't tell a story in two issues if he can tell it in nine. With Grayson, I think she shoves so much into two or three issues that there's simply no time to breathe or process it.)

I think it's the fact that I can read it all at once now, and it doesn't feel like quite as much "Let's keep piling angst up until the character's ground into comedically overwrought dust" as it did when reading the issues separately. It ends up reading just like a single set of events.

There are some completely laughably ridiculous parts (Like Dick sleeping on the fire escape under newspapers, I mean, I bought that as an in character decision, but oh my GOD! I laughed so hard) but in general, it's less of an angst overload that way.

It also probably helps that it comes to a resolution. (I thought the pre-Infinite Crisis scene with Batman was really good. I was less happy with the proposal to Barbara, but then I'm not a fan of the pairing. :-) I also wanted a bit more resolution with Tarantula, but her getting carted off to jail was pretty satisfying.) And it probably helps that the character is in a much better place now.

...I can only imagine what Damian's reaction to the fire escape melodrama would be though. Hee. Newspapers man. It was like something out of Dickens!

Okay, I'm done now and going to sleep.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home