Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Miscellaneous, disoriented solicit babble.

So, anyway, the meme is still going on, so please ask your questions. :-)

On the plus side, some of the solicits are up!

Okay, I'm really confused as to how much of the Bat-stories have been retconned out or not. Since I've been spending a lot of time rereading lately, I feel oddly emotionally involved in this answer darnit.

I mean, Nightwing #1's solicit referenced his time as Batman, but Nightwing #2 says something about his "new life as a Super Hero". Even though Batman #2 does say Bruce's "back in the cowl".

Actually, I'm probably being silly, since it's highly unlikely that they'll have written out Dick Grayson's time as Robin. Not if they're trying to make the DCU accessible (ask most non-comic fans who Robin is...). It's probably just a weird cut off point for "old" vs "new". But it's still weird!

The solicits did remind me of a thought I had about Helena Bertinelli. Helena is a character I've always wanted to like, but too often I get tripped up with things that don't make sense to me. For example, any storyline that starts going into Helena as the prodigal daughter of the Batclan doesn't really work for me, because I don't understand the basis for Helena and Bruce having any sort of father-daughter relationship.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Daddy issues are one of the things that amuse the hell out of me during this go round of reading Bat-comics. But with the other characters: Dick, Jason, Tim, Cass...probably Damian I think there is merit. I don't understand why Helena CARES what Bruce thinks of her.

Though it occurred to me, there is a really easier solution that would smooth that out for me. If it got revealed that on some point during his time travel (I don't really understand how it worked anyway), Bruce Wayne knocked up Ms. Bertinelli. Then at least the father-daughter thing would make a little bit of sense, at least on a subconscious level.

It may just be that I'd get a kick out of seeing Damian and Helena as siblings. Heh.

The Batman and Robin solicit makes me a little nervous. I love Damian, but it seems like Bruce just now noticing that his kid's a little uber violent is a sign of trouble. If he fires that kid, and Damian thereupon turns evil or something, I'm going to really be pissed off. Things had been going so well with Dick and Damian, and Dick was actually getting the kid under control! If Bruce ruins that, I'm gonna be upset! (Though if it leads to the kid getting shipped back to Nightwing, I'm all for that! :-P) It's one of those things where I have to hold off until I see it, I suppose. But my hackles! They are raised!

Bruce better not fuck up THIS kid, damnit. LEARN from your mistakes, boy! :-P

So anyway, yeah! Meme! Go ask questions!

3 Comments:

  • At July 12, 2011 12:18 AM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    I really hate to bring this up, because nine times out of ten you already know and simply don't mention it, but Helena Wayne was the daughter of Bruce and Selina Kyle on Earth-2. Assuming you dismissed that as irrelevant, I totally agree. If Helena is a Bertinelli, why should she give a rat's ass what Batman thinks of her? Personally, I hope Levitz keeps the mafia ties (seems likely,) but makes Helena a lawyer again. Wouldn't it be awesome if she defended the Gotham mobs as a source of stability amidst the crazies, or maybe as a means to her own ends at cross purposes with Batman's? I'd also really love a Bat-Family schism, with Nightwing, Huntress, and maybe Batwoman or Jason Todd on one side and Bruce, Damian, Babs on the other. It would play out the Earth-1/Earth-2 divide in a bold new context.

     
  • At July 12, 2011 8:20 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yeah, I know about Helena Wayne, that's why I brought up the time travel idea. :-)

    I like Helena Bertinelli, but some of the dynamic really doesn't make sense.

    I'm not sure what I think of that sort of schism or not. It could be a lot of fun though. :-) I have trouble imagining Damian taking Bruce's side over Dick's after everything that's happened, but he IS a kid...

     
  • At July 12, 2011 3:44 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Hah! Batman always screws up his Robins! Seriously, I have been enjoying the Dick/Damian dynamic duo far more than I ever expected that I would...and I'm going to be very sorry when Bruce messes it up.

    Can't you just see poor Damian packing all his stuff into a little bindle, and running off in the night to find Nightwing?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home