Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

the Goods

I've been really bothered by the trailer that I've been seeing on television for that Jeremy Piven move "the Goods" and Willow puts into words exactly why.

She says it better and more succinctly than me, so go read it.

I actually thought the concept of the movie sounded really funny, but by WHAT standard is racist hate crime being used as a joke remotely appropriate?

I should be grateful though. Before I saw the trailer, I thought it sounded interesting and might have actually gone to see that movie. But now? I'd rather get a needle in the eye than pay one red cent toward that movie. And that's not actually hyperbole.

3 Comments:

  • At August 22, 2009 8:26 PM, Blogger Lady Momus said…

    Not only that, but it's apparently funny that a woman had to "breastfeed some old man" so she could get on a plane! I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that's sexual assault.

    So this movie finds both hate crimes and abuse of women funny. Ugh. You couldn't pay me to watch that movie.

     
  • At August 22, 2009 11:50 PM, Blogger Canton said…

    Yeah... Based on this trailer and Very Bad Things, I'd suggest that maybe avoiding Jeremy Piven movies might be a good rule of thumb. Or at least movies in which he has a leading role.

     
  • At August 30, 2009 5:15 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Not necessarily, because then you'd miss "Smoking Aces", which also starred Ryan Reynolds, Common, Alicia Keys, Nestor Carbonell (Richard Alpert from "Lost"), Ray Liotta, Jason Bateman, and a pre-"Star Trek" Chris Pine in a decidedly un-Kirkian role. It was very good.

    The "Pearl Harbor" gag you're referring to definitely wasn't.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home