Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Heh

This is another filler post. Yeah, you'll be seeing a lot of these. Sorry.

Anyway, what you may not know about me is that I love fanfic. A lot. I can't read any NOW, mind you. But I love it. Most of it isn't terribly high quality, but heck, it's still fun.

Granted, I can't read any NOW. But still...

Back before Finals ate my life and lingering sanity, I was reading some X-Men movie fanfic. Nothing fancy, really. One was a take on Corsair in the Movie-verse. I like Corsair a lot, though I vastly disparage his parenting skills, so I was intrigued. In this version, he wasn't a space pirate. Which didn't bother me, because, heck, movies =/= 616 comics and the story had an interesting idea.

But the author put in the notes something about how the space pirate thing was "too silly" and that's why he/she went with something else.

Not long after that I found a very interesting version of a Phoenix/Dark Phoenix resurrection story (in place of X3), as I didn't like X3, I read it. I enjoyed it. It, like X3, cast the Phoenix as a part of Jean rather than a space faring entity who likes to possess women close to Scott Summers. (Really, if the Shi'ar wanted to be rid of it, they shouldn't be wiping out people with the Grey Genome. They should target HIM. Yeesh.)

As I said, it was a neat story. But then came the author notes, where the author said something about how he/she wrote the Phoenix as a part of Jean because it made a better story (fair enough), and indicated that he/she thought the space entity thing was kind of silly.

...

Really, what the heck is up with that? I mean, granted, the movies don't begin to approach the batshittery that is almost 50 years or so of X-comics. But you're still talking about a set of movies involving a guy who shoots lasers out of his cranium and another guy with metal laced claws.

That's not getting into the fact that a guy named Magneto (who wears a bucket on his head, by the way) wanted to turn NYC into mutants via what looked like a fucking gyroscope on the fucking Statue of Liberty.

That's not silly at all!

I'm not trying to insult the authors or anything. It just makes me giggle a little. It's such a weird standard!

5 Comments:

  • At May 05, 2009 3:16 AM, Blogger Mr. Bretterson said…

    Well... I kind of agree that the space alien part is silly.

    I mean, I like silly, don't get me wrong. But the original idea was that she evolved in power due to a combo of the cosmic rays (like the Fantastic Four, I mean radiation is where powers come from in the Marvel Universe) and her more-than-near-death experience.

    The alien thing is my least favorite comic book retcon, but it was required in order to bring the character back blameless.

    As I type this I can't believe how much this is exactly like the Parallax thing... And for some reason it bothers me less with Hal. I think because it didn't result in the bad metaphysics generally being treated as more important than the original character...

     
  • At May 05, 2009 6:14 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Anyone who describes the concept of "Space Pirate who fights Evil Alien Empires" as silly deserves at least a little contempt. Because that, that there is what Awesome is all about...

     
  • At May 05, 2009 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amusing how relative the "silly" concept is. Good luck with finals!
    -e

     
  • At May 05, 2009 12:24 PM, Blogger Scout said…

    My favorite thing about Corsair is that he's a space pirate. How could that be anything other than cool?

     
  • At May 07, 2009 8:35 AM, Blogger Bully said…

    Back before Finals ate my lifeYou know you've read too many comic books when that sentence makes you think of this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home