Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, April 27, 2009

I'm Not Hating Wolverine

One weird effect of mainlining a lot of X-books recently (what can I say, approaching finals get me in the mood for epic and cosmic angst) is that I've discovered that I actually do, sometimes, like Wolverine.

This is a weird feeling for me, since I've pretty much hated Wolverine since day one. And honestly, I still think he's remarkably overrated and overused. At the same time, when he's not the lead character of the story I'm discovering, I actually enjoy him. I'm the same way with Batman really. I like seeing him in relation to other characters more than I like seeing him on his own.

I do remember that I liked Wolverine in the X-Men Evolution cartoon too, now that I think about it. It was a clever idea to make him a teacher and completely change up pretty much all of his established comic relationships. It's also the only universe that can completely straight-faced include a scene where Cyclops asks Wolverine for advice on women. Though now, I'm kind of dying to see that happen in the main universe, somehow. I have the distinct feeling it would be hilarious.

It's still a weird feeling to not instinctively groan whenever I see Wolverine pop up on a comic book page. But on the plus side, I still hate Gambit! So not all has changed for good.

4 Comments:

  • At April 27, 2009 3:41 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    616 Wolverine to Scott: A woman is like being part of a super-hero team. You treat 'em right and you can be with all of them. At the same time. Probably in violation of physics. Bub...

     
  • At April 27, 2009 6:34 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Well...he did start out as a supporting character after all. I like him, but he has been so overexposed as of late, so quite a bit of the bloom is off the rose.

    But you are absolutely right about Gambit. I've ALWAYS hated Gambit.

    I'm not too thrilled about Bishop either.

     
  • At April 27, 2009 6:50 PM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    I was a Wolverine fan until the late '80s. I loved the anti-authoritarian streak among the too pliant X-Men, and a sociopathic berserker on a super-team was novel back then. Plus he was short, hairy, and degenerate. I also liked the failed samurai/ coarse uncle to Kitty direction. Then the overexposed, neutered, heroic, suddenly tall and handsome incarnation took hold. Blech. How can I respect a guy with foot long claws coming out of his fists who can't inflict more damage than torn clothing?

    I also liked Bishop as Claremont's criticism of Cable, until Claremont left him to other hands as Token Black Cable. No one in, like, eighteen years has figured out what to do with that guy, but they keep publishing his stories.

    I still like Gambit as an idea, but I have no use for pretty much anything done with him since his first few appearances. Well, I like the Marauders connection, but really wished he'd turned out to have killed a bunch of small mutie children or something. It would also be great if he had sweaty man-sex with Northstar, then went all Suedehead on him. Gambit is conceptually flabby. He needs a lot more or a lot less of something.

     
  • At April 28, 2009 4:09 AM, Blogger Menshevik said…

    Wolverine is one of the richest characters in the X-mythos, probably the richest - it is hard to imagine any other X-Man etc. getting this kind of (over)exposure for such a long time without the majority of fans getting tired of him (seriously, the only superhero characters he can be compare with in that respect are Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man). And like you said, he can be at his most interesting in his interactions with other characters, but in a way that benefits both characters, i.e. one of those 1980s philosophical discussiona between Logan and Kurt allows both to shine and readers to appreciate both their differing positions, and all those Logan/Kitty moments make a great Logan story, but perhaps an even greater Kitty story. Gambit (at least post X-Men vol. 2 #3) OTOH was too often written as a star to the detriment of other characters. Most notably this happened to Rogue who became a total wimp to suit the needs of the romance with Gambit (suddenly she developed this huge phobia about touching people etc. - the old Rogue would have reacted to his mind-games about him possibly being immune to her absorbing power by giving it a try). And I recall not liking that scene where Gambit beat Logan in a Danger Room fight at all...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home