Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, November 24, 2008

She-Hulk and a Tangent

Eek, later blog post than I usually write. Oh well. :-) That's vacation for you.

Personally, I'm really disappointed to hear that She-Hulk is being cancelled. I'm not sure why, as, to be quite honest, I haven't been reading it. (I had problems toward the end of Slott's run, and Peter David is very much a take-him-or-leave-him sort of writer for me. Also, I was annoyed that somewhere along the line, Jen seemed to lose the lawyer focus. Though to be fair, I've no idea if she gets it back.

I'm actually more disappointed by this than I am by Manhunter, and I actually read Manhunter. I suspect it's because, much as we may gripe, it's hard to argue that DC didn't give Manhunter a chance. There was the cancellation game before. Then it was brought back. Kate was added (if sloppily) to Birds of Prey which ought to have garnered more readers. I suppose that the sales just didn't measure up.

I'm clinging to hope that she'll appear when they do Adventure Comics again, since Manhunter was part of that lineup way back when, and that would be a fun way to get new adventures out of characters that while cool, may not be able to front a book just now.

I'd always thought She-Hulk sold pretty well though. I suppose there are other reasons, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Tangentially, I'd still like to see a comic about a superhero lawyer firm actually dealing with all those weird civil matters that ought to come up thanks to superheroing. Like inheritance laws when you come back from the dead. Or general liability when your superheroic base gets exploded. Things like that. An insurance company would be fun too, I think.

Then again, I'm a weird person.

10 Comments:

  • At November 24, 2008 12:30 PM, Blogger eatyourchildren said…

    Speaking as a law student and an avid fan of the genre (I get out of my 7:50-9:30 Wills class and head right over to pick up my pulls on Wednesday nights) I can say that I would buy this kind of book and you would buy it and we would both enjoy it but I don't think any non-lawyer or law student would find it that interesting. Kinda sad really because I would be totally excited to pick up every new issue of such a book.

    Maybe there is some webcomic potential here. I would be interested in doing my part on that if we found someone who could do the art. Is it possible that there is a law student out there who loves comics and can draw?

     
  • At November 24, 2008 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'd buy a legal procedural superhero comic. and i'm no lawyer. i'm sure there are others - people watch t.v. shows about law offices, right?

    but i'm down about the She-Hulk cancellation, myself. i was enjoying the current run - not the greatest book on the stands, but it was still fun.

     
  • At November 24, 2008 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There was a short lived series from Lone Star Press called Ex Parte that would be right up your alley, Kalinara. It dealt with a lawyer in superhuman affairs.

    There were only two issues. In the first, an Atlantean invader is tried in world court. The second, a lawyer discusses with an Animal Man analogue his history.

     
  • At November 24, 2008 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The law firm comic idea would definitely be cool. Something that's always bugged me about superhero comics is that there's always so much public and private property damage being done while the hero stops the villain(s).

    I mean, with Batman, you can assume that an anonymous donation will be made to repay the damage, but what about everyone else?

     
  • At November 24, 2008 9:33 PM, Blogger Duskdog said…

    Something that's come up as a minor point in a fic I've toyed with: Warriors was insured (at considerable cost), but they're not gonna pay up because Guy blew the joint up himself. How do you prove that a giant space bug of Fear made you explode your own home/business? And I'm sure there are accusations of insurance fraud in that kind of situation somewhere.

    I guess we kind of have to suspend our disbelief on matters like that so that our heroes aren't constantly bogged down by red tape, but I think a comic dealing with that kind of thing would be ten shades of awesome.

     
  • At November 24, 2008 9:34 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    To be fair, this IS the DCU, so it might not be out of the question to have a "blew up while possessed" provision in ones' insurance policy.

    Just in case, y'know?

     
  • At November 24, 2008 11:54 PM, Blogger x-man75 said…

    WHAT??? Why would Marvel cancel She-Hulk? I know it wasn't selling as well as it had been, but there are plenty of Marvel books selling a lot worse than She-Hulk.

    Oh well, I guess if anyone is to blame for this book's cancellation it's me. The folks at Marvel have been going out of their way to make me miserable for a while now, so it makes sense they would cancel She-Hulk, just to prove that Marvel really does hate me.

    So, to any She-Hulk fans out there, I take full responsibility for this comic's cancellation and apologize. Damn that Joe Quesada! Why does he hate me so much???

     
  • At November 24, 2008 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you read the Supernatural Law comic/webcomic?
    It's kind of like the ide you mentioned, except with horror/fantasy theme instead of superheroes.

     
  • At November 25, 2008 2:42 AM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    Ms. K is right -- Supernatural Law would be right up your alley.

     
  • At November 25, 2008 9:27 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I have to admit to liking SheHulk a lot more when it focused on the Law office aspect. That whole trial with the Leader was fun. I just hate cancellations, period.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home