Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Non-Comic: Personal Update

This post isn't comic book related, but well, sometimes that happens. :-) Besides, I kind of wanted to blog about lawschool. Mostly for anyone who's curious. If you're not. Skip over this entry. :-)

Law school is more interesting this year than it was last year. Probably partially because we can choose our own classes, and partially just because having had the internship I now know what the fucking point to all this is. Sadly, I also know how little all of my classwork actually gets used in the job I actually want to do (pretty fucking little barring Research and Writing) which isn't really helping the motivation factor.

Let's just say for the first time in my life, I'm not crushed by a "B" average. :-)

My classes are kind of neat. I have Professional Ethics, International Law, Problem Solving and Conflict Resolution, Evidence and Criminal Procedure.

Criminal Procedure, while not what I want to do with my life at this point, is probably the most practical of my choices if only because I'm taking the fucking bar exam at some point. It's also the most helpful in my favorite hobby which is bitching about television shows.

Oddly enough, the most accurate, near as I can tell, use of lawyering in a tv show I've seen thus far is probably the third and fourth season of Due South. And I'm including the episode where the mob-guy's lawyer turns around and plugs his ears so as not to witness the crime in process. Though that's more an Ethics thing than it is Crim-Pro. But...well...sometimes, honestly, the law is absurd. :-)

Evidence is fun. It's an evening class that's supposed to end at 9:20, but somehow I've yet to miss an episode of Criminal Minds this season. :-) International Law is a bitch and a half, and I feel remarkably stupid in that class, but fortunately I don't think I'm the only one. The professor likes to call on anyone who makes eye-contact though and I sit directly in front of him which gets awkward.

Problem Solving is neat. Probably the most practical in my actual chosen career idea. Though I kind of like the thought of being a mediator. Mostly because I'm the type of irritating personality that likes asking leading questions and getting someone else to actually make the decision. Apparently that's a good skill set for the job.

Law: Making a career out of people's obnoxious qualities since Adam first said "SHE gave it to me. Blame her!"

Professional Ethics is the other class I get to use to bitch about television shows, so I'm happy there. The other thing about Professional Ethics, is that the class really ends up telling you what kind of person you are. I have discovered that I am pretty much a fanatic. Which may not be a surprise to my readers, but was actually to me. I consider myself fairly moderate. But nope. I'm apparently the fanatic in my class. No quarter. Sanction 'em all. Heh.

(Except when it comes to Legal Aid. I'm a fanatic there too, but differently and I'm so biased that it's not even funny. I WORKED Legal Aid, man. You can loftily condemn them all you want from your cushy academic desk jobs, fuckers. Not saying I or MY attorneys would have made the same choice, mind you, but I'm still far more likely to sympathize.)

I get the sense that most of the class would like to hit me with something whenever I raise my hand. I'm that annoying. Oops. Still, it's a nice change from last year for me, when I was too terrified to say ANYTHING. Now I feel like I have just enough experience to have an opinion and be really fucking obnoxious about it. Yay me?

But that's school pretty much. It may kill me and has totally eaten my social life (I have run out of Nick Fury comics so am totally turning my brain off by watching absolutely wretched 90s television. Right now, it's Kung Fu: the Legend Continues, which is so wonderfully dreadful that I may have to blog about it. If only to spare my AIM buddies my constant appalled/amused commentary. :-))

5 Comments:

  • At October 23, 2008 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Remind me to appoint you as ethics czar should I ever become Dearest Leader around here.

    And yeah, I remember that show and its awesome camp as well. That And a show called Brisco County Jr ate my brain as a 12-yr old.

     
  • At October 23, 2008 8:40 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Network and syndicated tv in the 90s had so much crazy cop shows. Nowadays they're all either L&O, CSI or some new variation on Monk (weird outsider genius helps/is police)...

     
  • At October 23, 2008 9:34 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I'm glad that you like Problem Solving. A friend of mine, who is a Lawyer always said that they taught them to FIND problems...not necessarily SOLVE them.

    I imagine that your professor is actually happy to have you raise your hand. Nothing is worse than a sea of apathy.

     
  • At October 23, 2008 6:37 PM, Blogger Tom Bondurant said…

    If I ever find my old Criminal Procedure outline, I'll send it to you. It's 15 years old, so it won't do you much good, but it does have some Batman-oriented examples. :-)

     
  • At October 24, 2008 1:30 AM, Blogger Hale of Angelthorne said…

    As the old saying goes: first year they scare you to death, second year they work you to death, and third year they bore you to death.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home