Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Titans #1, of all things... (Minor Spoiler Warning)

Today was a good day for comics. (Sand had lines!!! And GLC was great too of course. I liked seeing everyone summoned especially. But the fangirl in me keeps going "Sand had lines!!!" But I digress.)

One thing that surprised me though was that I ended up deciding to buy Winick's Titans. (Warning, this post contains mild spoilers relating to the aftermath of Titans East, so if you don't want to be spoiled for that part of this issue, don't read)

This is surprising because I tend to be very give-or-take with Winick's writing in general, and except for Wally, I really don't have a lot of interest in the original Titan line up. (I will thank Mr. Winick and Mr. Churchill for that nice shower scene.)

I actually enjoyed Churchill's art this time around, which surprised me. I actually liked his rendition of naked Starfire (which I don't resent. Equal opportunity eye-candy, heh). I suppose I just don't like his version of Supergirl's particular build/body type. I still think it's weird that Raven's reverted to highschool age, because it makes her significantly younger than the rest of the cast now. But it's not that visually jarring.

On the plus side, we got to see the end result of Titans East. Which I'll spoil, since I know a few people who probably won't get the comic who'll be somewhat happy by it. At least I know I am.

I was annoyed that the end of Titans East seemed to kill off so many interesting minor characters (especially Hawk and Dove. I'm indifferent to Dawn, but I really like Holly.) In this issue, we get to see the culmination though and it's somewhat more optimistic.

Cyborg (who we knew wasn't going to be killed) is "unconscious but stable".

Hawk and Dove are "serious but stable". (Yay!)

Son of Vulcan, Lagoon Boy and Anima are "comatose". (I know someone'll be happy Son of Vulcan's still alive!)

Little Barda is "critical". (I'm happy about this, I thought she had potential, though the bandaged eyes are a bit discomfiting.)

So really, the only one actually dead is Power Boy. And he wasn't really redeemable or hero-worthy anyway. This satisfies me.

On the other hand, the plot twist at the end is so utterly predictable (again?!) that I can't really see myself picking up the next issue.

...

Unless of course there's another Wally-shower scene. Heh.

9 Comments:

  • At April 10, 2008 4:47 AM, Blogger david brothers said…

    (I know someone'll be happy Son of Vulcan's still alive!)

    Me! :D

     
  • At April 10, 2008 4:58 AM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said…

    I thumbed through this and, while I didn't mind it on the whole, I was absurdly pleased by one thing . . . then bitterly disappointed that we didn't get to see more of said thing.

    What thing do I speak of? Naturally, I speak of the Giant Demonic Goldfish.

    You know, the thing that attacks Starfire in the suburbs. Zombie Bondage Dominators get multiple pages but the Giant Demonic Goldfish gets just one measly page? Bah, I say.

    And you know, I didn't even care about the nudity of Starfire, except for how it would have increased the hilarity factor in fighting a Giant Demonic Goldfish. Anybody having to fight a Giant Demonic Goldfish naked = automatic hilarity. Ooh! What if the Giant Demonic Goldfish only attacks naked superfolks? Fiendish and underhanded!

    . . . so, in closing, I would totally buy Giant-Sized Demonic Goldfish #1.

    Thank you and good night.

     
  • At April 10, 2008 5:05 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    I was happy to see DC backing AWAY from a mass slaughter. But I figure they balanced it with the butchery of the most recent Booster Gold. Still it was at least a COMPETENTLY written Winick book. Which is a step up from his last couple years of Green Arrow stuff...

     
  • At April 10, 2008 12:06 PM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    Aw, lurker... alternate reality butchery is really just part of the fun.

     
  • At April 10, 2008 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As for Churchill's art, I have to say that if it hadn't been for the dialogue I would have thought the Big Bad was Stanley's Monster. He looks so . . . cute. And fuzzy.

     
  • At April 10, 2008 8:45 PM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I suppose I just don't like his version of Supergirl's particular build/body type.

    You mean like her non existant ankles!?

    XD

     
  • At April 11, 2008 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I for one am not sad bout Power Boy really being dead. I am glad to hear that Hawk and Dove, and Little are at least still breathing though.

     
  • At April 11, 2008 5:45 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    So happy Mikey Devante's still breathing.

    Now if DC could get around to actually putting his mini out in trade . . .

     
  • At April 13, 2008 9:55 PM, Blogger Paul S. said…

    I'm happy that Son of Vulcan's still alive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home