Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Did I Hallucinate This?

Okay, I know I've got some readers who are Conan fans or at least familiar with the Conan universe, right?

I've had this question for a long time kind of bugging at me, and it occurred to me, "Hey! You have a blog, dimwit!" So there we go.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Conan universe. I always was more fond of Cormac Mac Art instead as Howard products go. I'm not sure what that says about me, but there ya go. However, when I was a kid, I did totally watch the Conan cartoon. There was violence and I'm easy.

Anyway, there was a character that showed up in one or possibly more episodes that I always liked. He was a guy who possibly had a green thing on his head. He also had two wolves named "Sasha" and "Misha". I know this because the sole thing I remember of the cartoon was him calling their names.

I don't remember WHY I liked this guy, but I did. Considerably more than Conan himself. So...um...does ANYONE out there know who I'm talking about? Does this character actually exist in some form or another in comics/movies/book form? Did I hallucinate him out of thin air?

Help a girl out, wouldja?

6 Comments:

  • At September 21, 2008 10:45 AM, Blogger Mark Cook said…

    Conan the Adventurer! That was Greywolf; and weren't the wolves his brother and sister transformed by magic?

    Also: no, he's only in the cartoon. Basically, everyone but Conan is only in the cartoon, I think.

     
  • At September 21, 2008 10:47 AM, Blogger Mark Cook said…

    (Side note: there was a kid in my grade 6 or 7 class - whichever it was at the time - he claimed it was his uncle who did Greywolf's voice. Oh man, those were the days...)

     
  • At September 21, 2008 11:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    There was a Conan cartoon?

     
  • At September 21, 2008 12:19 PM, Blogger D.Bishop (aka Mr. Allison Blaire) said…

    ^^^^

    Yeah, Conan The Adventurer

    It was on when I was in 5th Grade in about 94/95 . Watched it every morning before school. I miss early morning and afterschool cartoons. I still wish I had a sword made of star metal.

     
  • At September 21, 2008 3:48 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Sadly the Conan cartoon was about as good as the Conan live-action show. That is, not very. Man, for a couple years there syndicated tv was just awash with live-action fantasy shows...

     
  • At September 21, 2008 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah yes. That's Greywolf. Taken from the Wiki...

    "Greywolf (Scott McNeil) - A wizard from the magical city of Xanthus. Originally armed with a bare staff, he was given the mystical "Claw of Heaven" made of Star Metal that was mounted atop his staff and effectively doubled his magical power (as stated on a couple occasions). His brother and sister were transformed into werewolves in a plot by the Stygian queen and sorceress, Mesmira. As a result, he consistently seeks a cure for their condition alongside of Conan. At the finale, he isn't able to turn his siblings back to normal, though he did manage to give them a small sampling of the cure that causes them to revert to human form once per month (on a full moon)."

    Greywolf hasn't shown up in any other Conan canon... probably because the idea of a friendly wizard fighting alongside Conan with his non-evil werewolf siblings flies as much in the face of Conan Orthodoxy as... well, Conan looking for honest work so he can buy fruit for his magical phoenix companion...

    The original cartoon wasn't that bad though. It had Christy Marx writing a lot of the episodes as well as the series bible and the heroes got to bleed, even if he wasn't allowed to cut down those stupid snake men. At least they did use a lot of the Hyborian setting and a few characters from the comics, like Zula the Kushite.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home