Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, October 02, 2014

I've Been Schooled

So my mother is an unexpected virtuoso in the art of reciprocal television torture.

Reciprocal television torture is when you and another person alternate watching episodes of truly awful (or sometimes decent) television so that you can mock it and suffer together.  There are bonus points when you find something TRULY terrible to torture the other person with.

I do this with quite a few friends.  It's fun!  It is truly my favorite hobby.

Anyway, my mother had a similar idea.  See, whenever I get weirdly obsessed with something new (which is, unsurprisingly often), I end up trying to inflict it on everyone as much as possible.  So when my mother came to visit, she knew that I would attempt to inflict my current terrible obsession (Still Emergency!.  There are a damn lot of episodes of that show.)

So she planned ahead.  And brought something terrible of her own.  And we would (and did) alternate episodes of each.

My mother brought season 1 of Here Come the Brides.

And we watched episodes.

I think I've just been schooled.  By my mom.  In my own favorite hobby.

I am so proud.  :-D

(PS:  What the fuck was that dead thing on Bobby Sherman's head?  Just asking.)

5 Comments:

  • At October 02, 2014 5:46 AM, Blogger Elayne said…

    Wow, there's a flashback to my childhood! I don't think I've seen Here Come the Brides since it was first aired, but boy do I remember all those Tiger Beat and 16 issues featuring Bobby Sherman...

     
  • At October 02, 2014 9:40 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I was a kid, but I do remember that show! And Bobby Sherman. Do not mock Bobby Sherman!

     
  • At October 02, 2014 11:35 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I am not mocking Bobby Sherman. I am mocking his hair. :-P

     
  • At October 02, 2014 11:59 AM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said…

    Whoah...fundamental interconnectedmess moment:

    From Wikipedia:
    When [Bobby] Sherman guest-starred on an episode of the Jack Webb television series Emergency! ("Fools," season 3, episode 17, aired 1/19/1974), he found a new calling that focused more on his personal life, and he eventually left the public spotlight and became an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).

     
  • At October 03, 2014 9:23 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Oh God, I even remember the lyrics to the opening song!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home