Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Well, I wouldn't read it, but...

Apparently there's a Twilight comic. (I'm one of those pretentious types that doesn't like to use the word "manga" for any comic not from Japan. :-P)

Twilight pretty much is a shoujo manga already though, so it's not surprising. It's not to my taste, but well, I prefer my men in spandex and punching each other rather than sparkling in the sunlight.

But hey, I'm all for getting more young girls to read comics, and vampires are a good gateway drug. I wish they were BETTER vampires. But as mentioned before, I'm a snob. :-)

Vampires are overrated anyway. Robots are where it's AT!

(And I stole the link from Yet Another Comics Blog.)

5 Comments:

  • At January 26, 2010 11:04 PM, Blogger Seangreyson said…

    I guess you're right that it's better to get folks reading comics any way possible, but a twilight "manga" isn't really going to serve as a gateway to superhero comics.

    Based on the circulation numbers for the various manga books at my local library I don't think girls need much inspiration to read manga in any format. The problem is moving them from there to superhero books, not getting them to manga in the first place.

     
  • At January 27, 2010 4:30 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I don't know about that really. I mean, if you look at MY experience, I read manga for years. Eventually I got tired of a lot of the stylistic elements of the genre, so I ended up giving something else a try.

    And I have quite a few friends from back in those days that I now see skirting around the edges of superhero comics commentary circles. I'm admittedly an extreme case, but there's a lot more crossover potential than you'd think, if you know how to approach it. :-)*

    (The easiest example, though it's not current, would be something like Amethyst of Gemworld, which pretty much IS an old school magical girl manga.)

    It's not an instantaneous process, sure, but the more reasons girls have to BE in a comic shop means the more likely they're going to eventually see more things that interest them. :-)

     
  • At January 27, 2010 12:24 PM, Blogger Seangreyson said…

    That's a good point I hadn't considered. Even if they're buying the manga at a bookstore, or getting it from the library they'll still end up going past all the other graphic novels and trades.

     
  • At January 27, 2010 1:50 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yep! I'm not saying that ALL of them will suddenly end up like...going there for Twilight and coming back with Batman.

    But you never know what might catch their eye on a day when they have a little extra money. :-)

     
  • At January 29, 2010 8:25 PM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    Agreed! Especially considering the renewed popularity of the genre in other media.

    Also: That preview page looks bad. Not badly drawn, but badly put together layout-wise. Like a webcomic by someone who's never taken a lesson in that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home