Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wherein I am a creepy comic geek:

So, anyway, I've kind of accidently committed myself to a post dissecting Scott Summers and Jean Grey's sex life (namely, he's totally the submissive). Because I'm that kind of comic book geek. The creepy kind. Yeah, I know. Anyway, it's probably gonna take me a while to track down sex scenes, so I'll do one now, and maybe do others as the whim arises.

So the first one is the chronologically earliest one I could find: the plateau sex in the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Of course, there's some weirdness in the fact that I'm not sure it counts as "Jean", but well, she thinks she's Jean so...close enough? The writers thought she was Jean at the time, at least?

So background: Hellfire club's acting up and Cyclops goes against Xavier's plan and takes the team to Warren Worthington to find out more info. He and Warren have a pow-wow on top of a plateau that unfortunately for me involves them wearing clothes. Happily for me, Jean comes around to change that.



Click to enlarge.

There are many things to love about this page. First the fact that Warren is clearly leaving to avoid cockblocking (vagina-blocking?) his friend. And I don't mean Scott, because he has no idea what's going on. Jean's all "I'll be hanging the sock on the door anytime now, kthx bye."

I also particularly enjoy how Scott reacts like a startled virgin as soon as Jean reaches for the visor. It's all "Why I never! You cad! Remove your hands from there, this instant!" But then Jean makes all high school boys on prom night proud by reassuring her boyfriend and finally getting it on.

Molecular rearrangement'll be useful for bondage.

Speaking of bondage, there's an interesting component there with her holding back his powers like that. Kinky.

Anyway, that's it for the sex scene initially, BUT the next issue quickly invokes a flashback.



Apparently Scott finds the Hellfire club's spare S&M hood to be a memory jogger. I'm just saying a) the Hellfire club is kinky, and b) so are they.

And then of course we get to see Jean initiate their mental bond:



1) Revisiting the whole high school boy on his prom-date thing, Jean's dialogue really sounds very much like a "Can we go all the way? I mean, if you're okay with it. I mean, you know...I'll understand if you say no."

2) Just in case the gender dynamic reversal involved in the penetrative aspect of her telepathy is lost on us, notice how the depiction of the energy is totally phallic.

Which kind of fits with my other post. His brain is totally a vagina dentata. Awesome.

On a (slightly) more serious note, the couple really is interesting to analyze in terms of gender dynamics (tell me, for example, the whole Jean-Scott-Emma confrontation isn't totally business man coming home to find his wife sleeping with the mailman. As a stereotype: unfaithful husbands tend to go OUT when they cheat, unfaithful wives tend to cheat at home.) and not-quite-acknowledged kinky BDSM potential.

And really, if you think about it, pegging is a lot easier with telekinesis.

11 Comments:

  • At January 21, 2010 12:27 AM, Blogger Mad Marvel Girl said…

    I love this <3.

    Especially the point about how Jean is the one Warren is clearing out for because SCOTT HAS NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON.

     
  • At January 21, 2010 12:35 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Warren's a good friend, man.

    And Scott never knows what's going on. It's part of his charm. :-)

     
  • At January 21, 2010 3:16 AM, Anonymous Sarah said…

    Ah, this is just as beautiful as I imagined it would be! I was wondering if you'd start with this one, cause it seems like the ultimate classic Jean and Scott Doin' It scene. And you're right...it defines their, ahem, roles very well. Jean's practically shoving Warren off the cliff.

    I also like how she decides to change her outfit to a grandma bathing suit. Nothing says "gettin' busy" like that!

    Keep up the good work. #creepywithyou

     
  • At January 21, 2010 3:31 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Aw, you know she did it for his delicate sensibilities. If she just stripped naked, he might have caught on that she had, y'know, intentions.

    She can disintegrate it later. :-)

     
  • At January 21, 2010 6:14 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said…

    Could the Hellfire Club flashback/kink connection be a motivator in Scott and Emma's relationship?

    Fond memories and all that.

     
  • At January 21, 2010 1:19 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I'm sure there are a LOT of factors going on in Scott's relationships. Most of which indicate his serious need for therapy. :-)

     
  • At January 21, 2010 4:53 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I never really thought about it before, but you're right...Jean is definitely the one who is in control of THAT situation. I'm sure Scott was blushing the entire time.

    He does seem to like being the one who is chased, doesn't he?

     
  • At January 23, 2010 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love Byrne's art... 2 other interesting possibilities to this story, (1) what if Jean had asked Warren to stay (2) what if Jean asked Scott to leave.

    Seafire

     
  • At January 23, 2010 1:11 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    SallyP: Well, to be fair, if you waited for Scott to chase anything, I'm pretty sure you'd die of old age.

    Seafire,

    ? Well, if you 'ship alternate pairings, you'd probably be happy. They don't seem particularly likely at that point in comics time though. :-)

    Though I admit, based on no evidence what-so-ever, I've always thought Scott Summers was bisexual. So maybe scenario 1 could have worked out after all.

     
  • At January 25, 2010 2:07 AM, Blogger Brian Smith said…

    I'm glad you posted this -- I'd seen the "sequel" in X-Factor when I was a kid, and that follow-up scene makes a lot more sense now. (The gist of the follow-up: Scott was totally willing to go back to that plateau and risk Jean's life to prove a crazy, crazy point.)

     
  • At January 25, 2010 4:13 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Poor thing means well. But he's pretty much (quietly) batshit crazy. It's why I'm so fond of him. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home