Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Mildly Horrific...

Am I the only one who finds this ThunderCats concept art to be mildly horrific?

I mean, granted, the cartoon designs aren't much better, but cartoons can get away with that. It's really kind of hard to do a non-animated cat person any kind of justice.*

*Excepting MAYBE that old Beauty and the Beast show, and even then, that was helped by the sweeping tone of the series. Not very applicable to this case.

I can't quite figure out why they don't just do a cartoon. The nostalgia folks'll go regardless, and maybe they can attract actual KIDS to the product.

(Art also visible here. I like the background stuff and ships, honestly, but the character design still makes me wince.)

5 Comments:

  • At August 04, 2009 8:12 AM, Blogger ARS said…

    EWWWWWWW! Yeah not what I would hope for. But hey, I had no idea they were doing a Thundercats movie. So thanks for the info.

     
  • At August 04, 2009 3:06 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said…

    Ah, geez, it's just as I feared -- it's gonna look like Andrew Lloyd Webber's CATS in space. :-\

     
  • At August 04, 2009 3:41 PM, Blogger Saranga said…

    That's awful.
    (Word verification: slism. Sounds like a svillain.

     
  • At August 04, 2009 3:42 PM, Blogger Saranga said…

    Oh look, next one is catinger.

     
  • At August 04, 2009 8:13 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Playing Devil's advocate - but this is just concept art. I think the outfit works, thematically. I'm sure the make up effects would be a lot better than that, if they get the right people.

    Then again, if the movie looked like those concept pieces, it would be a very risky movie for the studio.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home