Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Damned with Faint Praise?

You know, as someone who's never read the book and isn't really a big fan of Gaiman, I do think Coraline looks like a really cute movie. But I really wish they'd stop repeating that one critic quote: "Best 3D Movie I've ever seen!"

Because while intellectually I know there've been GOOD 3D, like Nightmare Before Christmas and what-not, that's not what comes to mind when I think "3D Movie"

I hear 3D and think of My Bloody Valentine 3D, or Sharkboy and Lava Girl, 3D! Pretty much anything KNOWN specifically for being 3D...meaning simultaneously being crap.

If anything it makes me want to see the movie much less. It's the epitome of reverse-advertising.

4 Comments:

  • At February 05, 2009 6:43 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    I saw Friday the 13th 3 in 3-D a few decades ago. That was both the last 3D movie and the last Friday the 13th movie I ever saw, so you can guess how well it went over.

     
  • At February 05, 2009 10:13 PM, Blogger Tom Foss said…

    Actually, I thought My Bloody Valentine was pretty good. It had everything I like in a slasher flick: clever kills, a bit of a whodunnit, and it didn't take itself too seriously. One thing that could have made it better would be the "Clue" ending, where the (obvious) multiple endings were actually used in the theater.

    Then again, I only saw it once, so it might have been.

     
  • At February 06, 2009 5:02 AM, Blogger Saranga said…

    Jaws 3D. Bad, but somehow good..

     
  • At February 06, 2009 2:33 PM, Blogger Dane said…

    I guess the line of thought in this advertising is that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

    But I had actually never heard of Coraline before this post. I just checked out the trailer. It looks rather charming.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home