Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, December 08, 2008

A Sudden Realization:

I had this realization today.

Watching two internet bloggers argue about the First Amendment of the United States Constitution is like watching two people who've never read a comic argue about whether the Hulk could beat Spider-Man and saying things like:

"Don't be stupid, the Hulk could just fly Spider-Man into the sun!"

"Oh yeah, well, first Spider-Man can beat him with his eight legs!"

That is all.

4 Comments:

  • At December 08, 2008 1:37 AM, Blogger Dane said…

    You know, I'd like to do some reading on this subject over my break. Are there any books discussing the First Amendment you recommend? Hell, while we're at it, anything on the right to bear arms? I feel horribly misinformed on both.

     
  • At December 08, 2008 1:51 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Actually, I'd recommend reading case law more than I would books. But that's just because I like case law. :-)

    I don't know really what books I'd recommend on either subject, except that I would probably look for books written by lawyers or judges since they'll have the most practical experience on how the courts have interpreted them so far.

    Since law is fluid and interpretable, my suggestion would be to get at least two books about each subject by as dramatically different authors as possible. If the books end up agreeing more than they disagree, go get a third. :-) The best way to understand the law is to understand how people disagree and why.

     
  • At December 08, 2008 2:38 AM, Blogger Dane said…

    I encourage such dialectical reading in my own students. Thanks!

     
  • At December 08, 2008 3:08 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    One of the most incredibly head-desking messageboards debates I've ever witnessed was two British girls arguing that some sculpts of copy-righted Japanese characters made in China and sold by a Korean company were illegal by quoting US copyright law. Top that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home