Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Meme!

Oooh, got tagged!

1) What was the first comic you remember reading?


2) What was the first comic that made you realize that you might be in this for the long haul?


3) If you had to make a snap decision to take one comic or one comic run to a desert island, what would it be? Don't think too hard!

---

1) Well, the very first comic I remember reading was probably Nightcat which I knew was wretched even at the age of nine. But it had a brunette woman in leather kicking people in the face, with ill-defined powers, and a lot of cat puns.

I loved that comic though, perhaps understandably, it didn't open the door to superhero comics for me at the time.

2) Hmm, depends on if we're talking manga or superhero comics for me. I think the first manga I really got into was some online scanlations of the Kall-Su/Dark Schneider fight in Bastard when I was about 13/14 ish. (I'd been more of an anime geek before that and honestly, at the time, it wasn't easy to find manga.) I thought it was awesome.

Especially when the slightly effeminate villain was actually WINNING against the somewhat more masculine, if longer haired, and possibly more evil hero. Then there was self-impalement and death/resurrection/spontaneous transformation into a monster and I was sold.

At the time there was no official release of it, so I decided to buy some Japanese dictionaries, study, and see if I could take some classes. At my first convention, at 16, I finally had the chance to buy my first manga in Japanese. Totally bought that story arc. <3 Best fight ever.

Heh, if you've read Bastard though, you'll probably understand why I was never exactly in the "manga is MUCH LESS sexist and objectifying than superhero comics!" camp. Sure there are plenty that are better than your average superhero comic, but there are just as many, if not more, that are MUCH WORSE. And whenever I see that argument I seriously have to think that the person has not read enough. (Or, to be fair, might just lack the cultural knowledge to recognize Japanese sexist tropes instead of American ones. But I digress. :-))

For superhero comics, I think it was when I read the Trade Paperback of A Lonely Place of Dying back in January 2005. I was tickled by the way Tim Drake just kind of invaded the batclan all "I figured out your identities because I have half a brain" and the way he ultimately ends up putting on Jason's suit and fighting. I thought it was a great origin story and I knew I wanted to read more.

3) As for what comic/comic run I'd take on a desert island...either Beau Smith's Warrior or the Goyer-Johns run of the JSA. I can't choose between them and you can't make me!

3 Comments:

  • At May 03, 2008 10:14 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Seriously, Nightcat? Oh my!

    And Beau Smith's Warrior. All the way.

     
  • At May 03, 2008 5:32 PM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    :O

    We started around the same time I think! :D In terms of superhero comics for the long haul o_o When did the Superman/Batman Supergirl arc begin? :D

     
  • At May 05, 2008 9:24 AM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    Forced to think about, I am beginning to think that the first comic "book" I recall reading was a black and white re-print of Spider Man #1 that was re-printed repeatedly on a roll of toilet paper.

    It was a gift from one of my uncles whose other gifts included Fake Dog Doo and copies of "The Fart Book."

    While I would never have actually USED toilet paper with that much ink printed on it (it may have actually had a warning label of the package saying "Do Not Use This Roll of Toilet Paper as Toilet Paper"), I remember actually reading the entire roll, which means that I read the same issue of Spider-Man 7 or 8 times.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home