Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, March 07, 2008

Suddenly Sapphic Slayers?

I'm rather proud of that title by the way. I'm fond of aliteration.

I have to admit, I was not expecting the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic to quite go in the direction that it did. And by that I mean exactly what you think I mean. (Fortress Keeper's got a scan at his blog for the curious).

I think that, tentatively at least, it's not a bad plot development. I admit, the cynic in me rather thinks that the whole thing is an attempt for more press, but at the same time I definitely think that a reminder that sexuality tends to be somewhat more fluid than we like to admit isn't a bad thing.

It's not, I think, terribly unheard of for a young woman, even one who primarily identifies as straight, to expand her horizons in such a manner. And as the Fortress Keeper points out, a love interest that's alive and human is something of a step up from some of Buffy's previous love interests.

I know quite a few girls my age or a bit younger who might identify a bit with Buffy's particular situation here too.

I do hope it won't end up resulting Willow and Buffy doing something both would regret. In real life, I'd highly doubt a possibly bi-curious girl and a lesbian best friend would risk a long-standing friendship in such a manner (even provided they were each others' type) especially with all of the Sunnydale baggage between them, so I'm hoping that'll hold out in the comic. I don't doubt Mr. Whedon's ability to tell an interesting story either way, but I'd personally rather see something a bit more true-to-life relationship wise.

I'll give credit where it's due though, normally I'm largely indifferent to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic, but right now at least I'm very interested in seeing what possible effects may result from this decision.

6 Comments:

  • At March 07, 2008 12:03 PM, Blogger Anthony Strand said…

    I guess my problem with it is that, after what happened with Spike, it's a regression for Buffy to use someone she knows is in love with her like that.

    She's supposed to have grown up by now! We don't need this "I had sex with you because I wanted to feel good about myself, and now I regret it" nonsense again!

     
  • At March 07, 2008 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, it seemed pretty clear in the dialog, Buffy was not deciding she was gay...she was experimenting. I thought it was pretty evident this girl is not a love interest for Buffy (though it was clearly in reverse).

     
  • At March 07, 2008 5:12 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I'm not disagreeing with you thomwade, I just tend to use "love interest" as a more general term.

    I can see the backsliding argument certainly, but I do think the experimentation's fairly realistic. I guess it'll depend how they handle it from here.

     
  • At March 07, 2008 6:53 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    I agree with the fact that its not unheard of for a young woman to experiment, especially when her previous love interests are a bit "out of the mainstream."

    We'll see what happens from here, I guess.

    Thanks for stopping by, Kalinara!

     
  • At March 08, 2008 2:46 AM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said…

    *puts on Buffy Nerd Hat*

    Anthony, I can say with some sadness that some people - even supposedly "adult" people - never learn the hard lessons about how much they hurt other people via their romantic choices. And our dear Buffy has always struck me as a slow learner in matters of the heart.

    Look at her history - Riley was, for the most part, uncomplaining comfort food and Spike was a freaking glutton for abuse. Even with Riley's leaving her and Spike's flat-out analysis of the situation, I don't think Buffy ever internalized the lesson that using other people to make herself feel better was wrong. I sincerely hope Satsu will be the one who finally gets that message across to her, what with her being both A) Human, B) somebody with a fresh perspective and/or C) somebody whom Buffy herself doesn't think she's going to be with forever.

    Kalinara, I think I read an interview with Whedon somewhere wherein he's said the most that will happen between Willow and Buffy after this will be a funny snark-fest; one wherein Willow's feelings get hurt that Buffy didn't want to experiment with her instead. :P That, and Jesus Christ, much as I love these characters, putting those two in a romantic relationship would just be a traffic accident waiting to happen IMHO. They'd be ice skating on a thin layer of bubbly cuteness over a deep, dark pit of murky neuroses and neediness.

     
  • At March 08, 2008 5:51 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Also Willow and Kennedy are still together. Willow just doesn't want Kennedy anywhere near Buffy's sphere of influence...

    Other than that? GREATEST. COMIC. EVER. But then I'm probably biased...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home