Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Insert Irate Cursing Here:

Damnit!

Remember how I said I didn't really like Cassandra Cain?

Well, anyway, I was chatting with this jerk here and the subject of Brave and the Bold comes up.

Anyway, it occurred to me that as much as I don't like the character that much, a team-up between Cassandra Cain and Guy Gardner could be fascinating. He's all about the posturing and bravado, after all, and it'd be really interesting to see that partnered with the girl who'd see straight through it. Heck, she couldn't NOT see through it, with the way her abilities work.

Also, he's a former special education teacher. That'd adds another interesting element of interaction. Cassandra's always been around Bat-types. Her sanest vaguely parental figure is probably Oracle, who's not really equipped for dealing with kids. And we've all seen how well Bruce does with his sidekicks...

Guy though. Guy knows kids. He's trained for dealing with kids. Especially kids with special needs. Cassandra's definitely not like anyone Guy would have ever taught before, but he's got the skillset and experience to understand her condition and situation in a different way than any of the characters Cassandra usually interacts with. (Also, he's immune to the Bat-intimidation, which would help.) Where everyone else sees a quiet, competent, dangerous living weapon/colleague/ally, Guy would see a damaged kid.

That interests me.

Then I had another thought, unlike anyone else in the Batclan, he really could understand her situation in another way:

Cassandra Cain was raised by David Cain, intentionally damaged, in order to make her a living weapon.

Guy Gardner was left completely insane by the Guardians because while they could cure his brain damage, he was more useful this way. (He was too "hesitant" when he was sane.)

It's the same thing. Different setting, different scale, but it's exactly the same thing.

Then I had the unnerving realization that actually, my favorite character has a LOT in common with Batgirl.

Both of them are the intuitive and emotional members of a largely cerebral cast. The Batclan are more obviously so, as they're ACTUALLY intelligent, but the Lanterns all tend to be focused toward loftier concerns and ideals. They're all emotional, but Guy is the one that really coasts on his emotions (usually anger) more than the others.

They're both portrayed as essentially the most compassionate of their casts. Cassandra had that whole death row storyline for example. While Guy is really the only Lantern that would go out of his way to buy a newbie hero a drink. (Not that the others aren't nice, but well, they'd have to notice the newbie first.)

Both characters end up particularly noted for their capacity to forgive. (Even if Cassandra tends to do it without punishing said transgressors with insults and annoyances)

Both characters are on the outskirts for a long time for circumstances that aren't their fault, and mistrusted and misjudged until people get used to them.

They've both gone batshit crazy under the influence of others...

...

And that's when it hit me. I have my goddamned touchstone with the character now. I'm going to end up rereading Batgirl, and I'm going to have this whole "paralleling my favorite character" thing in my head...

And I'm going to like her.

It's starting already.

DAMNIT! It's not fair!

14 Comments:

  • At March 22, 2007 7:43 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    . . . You know how I bang on about how I loved Young Justice because, among other things, there was adult supervision and Parent/Mentor conferences and so on?

    Now you make me want to see Guy join the Teen Titans as an advisor.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 10:35 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Hey Flidget, THAT would be funny.

    Curse you, Kalinara! I've never even read much with Batgirl in it, because I'm not much of a bat person. Now I'm going to have to...dammit.

    I just found the Young Justice tpb, "Sins of Youth" yesturday, and it is a riot. Kyle keeps changing his outfit in every panel, and waaaay at the end, he is in Guy's uniform. Looking surprisingly fabulous.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 10:38 AM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    You know, I love your ability to just take characters apart and show us what makes them work. It's something that many authors don't even know exists, let alone are able to do effectively.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to the Cass Cult, Kali!

    We always knew you would see the light.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man. This sucks, and you totally have my sympathy. :)

     
  • At March 22, 2007 12:41 PM, Blogger Ferrous Buller said…

    Not to dissuade you from learning to love Cass, but I can think of one major difference between the two of them: Guy's a jerk - Cassie's not. More precisely, Guy's flaws can make him distinctly unlikeable - and therefore, make him seem more human; Cassie's flaws, as you've pointed out, seem like they're meant to make her more tragic or sympathetic to the audience. There's an "emo Mary Sue" factor to her which, as near as I can tell, you dislike in general. [See also: Nightwing.]

    But you're right: they would make an interesting team-up, though I'm not sure what excuse one could find to throw them together.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 12:50 PM, Blogger Simon (formerly Johnny Sorrow) said…

    The team-up would also be a nice way for Guy to get out some of his bat-issues, when he sees that Batman took this girl under his leathery wing, and didn't really bother to help give her an education, a language, or a life. It would be fun to see Guy taking the fight to Bats over his really pretty egregious treatment of his young girl.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There really wasn't much interesting Cassandra Cain stories, IMO, until Andersen Gabrych came along. So check those out.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 4:36 PM, Blogger Willow said…

    That kind of reminds me, obliquely, of how reading Samaritan had me liking Superman as a person, because suddenly I could see the loneliness and isolation in Superman and see his work as a mission. And suddenly I could parallel him to Batman.

    Ahh sweet, tricky perspective. How you do bitchsmack as all unawares.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 9:30 PM, Blogger Foomf said…

    Yah... In regards to your earlier rant about Cass.

    You've described the standard reaction of everyone-but-the-writer to a MarySue.

    Cass is an Authorial MarySue, in the same way that Claremont tried to turn all his female characters into MarySues, while Byrne then subjected them to poorly written S&M pr0n.

     
  • At March 22, 2007 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heh, I guess my earlier comment about her "pulling a Nightwing" is now sorta eerily prescient. :)

    Funny story, I actually did the reverse of you. As someone who only really started buying comics in earnest a little under a year ago, I loved Cass the moment I read through one of her trades. My first exposure to Guy, however, was Infinite Crisis #7 and I thought he was a total asshole jock bully type and hated him (You see, I have the tendency to feel sympathetic to a whole lot of villains at times, such as Emoboy-Prime). After reading more of Guy though (and hearing people sing his praises around here, lol), I found out that even though Guy was still an asshole, he was also loyal, honest, and even caring. Now he's just about my favorite Lantern (barring Natu perhaps) and I totally agree with him on SBP now. After all, Guy's been through a hell of a lot and you don't see HIM whining and killing superheroes!

     
  • At March 23, 2007 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Firstly I object to you implying a lack of GL IQ (excepting Hal;)) John is a skilled archiect, his wife's a doc, Kyle is brilant but unaware and Alan... oh he's just an engineer/bussinessman/broadcaster/former co-lead on Checkmate

    Secondly I can tell you that even being trained to handle special ed students doesn't make it much easier, I've been doing that every week this semester so trust me./

    Thirdly Bruce is learning see for evidence the recent story where Tim was kidnaped.

    Other than that I completely agree;) and would give much for video of when you typed this.:)

    flidget I concur w/ sallyp you are a comedy genius.

     
  • At March 23, 2007 12:02 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Hey Justin...Guy may piss and moan, but he NEVER whines. There is a difference.

     
  • At March 23, 2007 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sallyp: Exactly! ;) Pissing and moaning is more fun! Such as the never-ending saga of the shore leave. With the kind of day he's having in the latest issue of GLC, I'm surprised he didn't just immediately haul off and punch that poindexter GL right in the nose after the dude's "joke".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home