Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Our Worlds at War Rant

So I was skimming through Our Worlds At War. Honestly, while I usually like crossover events, (I even liked Zero Hour for gosh's sake) I really didn't like this one.

It had some good moments, I particularly liked Geoff Johns's JSA tie in. Sand got to be particularly leader-y in that one. (I particularly liked the end, when Luthor asks about casualties: "You're forgetting who you're talking to. This is the JSA.")

But in general, I didn't like it. Even the great Sand-portrayal is tainted by the World's Finest follow-up, where Alan, Jay and Ted are grieving for Hippolyta. Jeph Loeb is give or take for me...when he's good he's very good. But here he wasn't. He botched Sand. How the hell do you botch Sand?! If you don't know what to do with him just keep him silent! It works fine!

He wrote him uptight! Uptight! Look, Sand is calm, polite, restrained, mouthy and sometimes an utter bastard. But in this, he's written like freakin' Cyclops!

Now I love Cyclops dearly, but Sanderson Hawkins is no fucking Cyclops, thank you!

Not to mention that the scene involved a man who grew up in the 1940s being uptight about drinking alcohol. Now I'm no historian, but that really doesn't make sense to me. Especially given that Alan, Ted and Jay were doing the drinking. Seriously. What the fuck?

But I digress.

Now I mostly hate Our Worlds at War for two reasons: first, that they killed Hippolyta, Aquaman and Guy Gardner but only Hippolyta hasn't come back. Second, that when they killed Guy Gardner, they did it in such a dumbass way.

THIS is Guy Gardner's death scene:



Now in and of itself, I have no problem with this scene. Guy Gardner, especially as Warrior, is kind of a magnet for gratuitous trouble. I have nothing against him getting stabbed by a giant spear and even with Booster Gold, not the brightest bulb in the box, thinking he's dead.

The problem is that he actually IS supposed to be dead. Seriously.

This is a guy who, in the last issue of Warrior, got his HEART RIPPED OUT of his chest by Major Force and GREW IT BACK. There is absolutely no way that Guy Gardner, at least in his Warrior identity could possibly be killed via human shish kabob. No way.

On the plus side, it makes resurrecting him easy enough. (I deny the existance of the Guy in Hell story, but I can perfectly buy him being thought dead while his body slowly regenerated from this.)

But honestly, I have this thing about my favorite characters. If they're going to die, or even be presumed dead, it should be a death freakin' worthy of them.

Or at least a death that seems like it could POSSIBLY KILL THEM!!!

Hmph.

13 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2006 5:36 AM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    Which is why I'll always have a problem with Hawkeye's "Not like this!" death in Avengers Disassembled, no matter how many times he is resurrected.

    On the GL front, Jade could have gone out better too - although being zapped while floating about is probably in keeping with the way writers continually pulled the rug out from under her.

     
  • At August 10, 2006 5:37 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    *nod* That was a dumb death too. Much as I wasn't fond of her.

    At least though, I could almost buy it as being capable of killing her though. It's not quite like the man who regrows vital organs getting killed by a spear to the chest. :-)

    How did Hawkeye die?

     
  • At August 10, 2006 9:09 AM, Blogger lostinube said…

    Hawkeye crashed into an alien warship during Avengers Disassembled I believe. I never really got the anger over him dying though. You had to know that he was coming back one day some way or another.

    I thought Jay doesn't drink?

     
  • At August 10, 2006 9:12 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Ahh, good to know.

    *shrug* Honestly, it's just a really bad scene all around. I may post it sometime.

     
  • At August 10, 2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    Just shoot him in the head. Oddly, DC heroes are incredibly vulnerable to bullets to the head.

     
  • At August 10, 2006 12:42 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    Crashing into an alien warship would have been cool.

    The stupid part of Hawkeye's death was the fact that the explosive arrows in his quiver had ignited, and he decided to make a suicide dive into the warship instead of, you know, just throwing the quiver away.

    Plus, the alien warship was probably an imaginary threat created by a mentally unbalanced Scarlet Witch.

    I hated Avengers Disassembled ...

     
  • At August 10, 2006 3:06 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    zaratustra: Nah. Warrior-Guy'd regenerate, I think. Considering all the crap that he'd already have had to regenerate in his skull...

    fortress keeper: Ahh, that does clarify things.

     
  • At August 10, 2006 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I loved Our Worlds at War for one reason:

    Krypto.

     
  • At August 10, 2006 10:12 PM, Blogger Steven said…

    Yeah, I enjoyed OWAW as well, but then I'm a Superman fan, and he does shine throughout. If Hippolyta is your thing, yeah you're going to hate it. (though she does go out like a champ. Jade wishes she could die like Hippolyta.)

    I had forgotten about the Guy in Hell thing (maybe blocked it from my mind). That was bad. Joe Kelly is CUH-RAZY sometimes.

     
  • At August 10, 2006 11:14 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    mallet: Hee!

    steven: There were individual parts of OWAW I liked...like the JSA issue (the Johns one), but in general, too much bad in ratio to good. :-)

     
  • At August 14, 2006 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a rather ridiculous way to kill off Guy...I mean wouldn't he
    just lie there for a minute, rub some dirt into the wound, and jump back into the action? Sheesh!

     
  • At August 17, 2006 4:41 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Totally! And bitch doing it!

     
  • At December 06, 2011 9:55 AM, Anonymous www.orense-3d.com said…

    Oh my god, there is really much effective info above!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home