Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, May 08, 2006

I'm a Weird Person

Okay, so Dorian and Ragnell have both linked the DC 52 special. So I was looking at it and found this:

Metropolis, May 3 —

Dear Prof. Expert,
Last year, my wife of 10 years and I went through a divorce. We each live and work in Metropolis, have many friends in common and, as a result, found ourselves bumping into one another repeatedly. Because of these serendipitous meetings, and the situations that resulted from them, we have started to rethink our divorce and have even looked into reconciliation.

Now, imagine my surprise when I last week, I came home to a woman claiming to be my wife and who has no knowledge of our divorce! In addition, I don't seem to have any record of our divorce paperwork! Finally, my ex-wife still lives in her apartment and still remembers all of the events of the past year, including our divorce!

Confused yet? Me too! I am in love with two wonderful, smart and exciting women – who seem to be the same woman with entirely different histories and memories of the past year! What gives!?

HELP ME PROF. EXPERT!
Holy Matrimony

Dear HM,
Well, that's quite a crisis! A month ago I would have chucked this in the circular file but with all the interesting changes going on around the world I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. In fact, some men might not even consider this a problem at all! Have no fear – I have a solution. Polygamy! Sure it's illegal and possibly immoral but unless you can figure out how to return one of these women to Earth-12, Earth-D (or whatever parallel world she hails from) it's your only shot. Head West, young man and bring your blushing brides with you. Good Luck!
"

So now, I'm suddenly all excited for New Earth and 52 in ways that I've never imagined possible. I didn't *like* the multiverse. And I'm a huge continuity freak. So as interested as I was, I was also leery.

Not anymore. This one poor fictional fellow's romantic trouble has *completely* won me over. No more mixed feelings. No more wariness.

52 is gonna be a blast. Because I'm a sick, sadistic person.

4 Comments:

  • At May 08, 2006 11:27 AM, Blogger Steven said…

    My second favorite bit, after the advice column, is the Cadmus ad ("Nobody's perfect... yet").

    Because a) that's a great slogan and b) it means Cadmus is coming back (Yay!) and they can explain where they've been for the past FIVE years.

    We do seem to be short one Superboy. I'm sure they can whip one up right quick.

     
  • At May 08, 2006 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They don't really have to explain where Cadmus has been for the last five years - don't you remember, it's ALWAYS been there. It was never shut down by the government.

    Of course, this might play a bit of havoc with Grant Morrison's Guardian revamp, but then again, maybe not.

    I have to say, although I liked the Dr. Expert bit, I chuckled quite a bit at the fortuitous "expansion" of the not-Starbucks coffee joint. I actually hope that there IS a general remembrance of the happenings of this last Crisis and that people talk about it a bit. I know that Busiek did a bit in Astro City where some people remembered some things after a Crisis-like event, so its been done, but I still like the idea that folks are suddenly better/worse off than they were before because they were merged with their alternate self from another dimension...

     
  • At May 08, 2006 2:54 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    steven: Cadmus should be fun!

    jer: I was initially all for forgetting the particular pre-IC/New Earth conflicts and just going with New Earth. But this has the possibility to be a blast. :-)

    Is it Wednesday yet?

     
  • At May 08, 2006 4:12 PM, Blogger Steven said…

    Right... cause Seven Soldiers takes place on New Earth, but before the Crisis (like the past year of Legion of Superheroes).

    So yeah, Clone Guardian, the Clone Newsboy Legion, the adult Newsboy Legion cloners are probably gone (that's a shame), but Dubbilex, Sterling Rocket, and the Mechanic are probably still around. What do THEY have to say about their greatest creation biting the big one or Timmy Drake's afterschool project?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home