Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Random thoughts.

In light of this, I thought I'd post my own opinion on it, but really, my opinion's pretty indifferent. It is after all, only one fan's opinion.

Personally, I'll summarize this fan's opinions right here: I like Power Girl's boobs. Phantom Lady's however are a little scary. I admire the variety of female bodies in comics, I think they're under appreciated, but there could always be more variety. I disagree that all racial characters are white-washed, sure Connor Hawke looks pretty damn white, but Michael Holt, Onyx, the Crimson Avenger, John Stewart and even Storm under the right artists definitely don't look white to me. And they're certainly not the dehumanized exaggerations from very early cartoons. (There's a balance, really. What makes those early depictions racist is the dehumanization, I think. People should look like *people* damnit.)

And as I recall, there was a huge stir from many Chinese people when Mulan came out because of the offensive stereotypes...though considering I'm 90% sure the fact that Mulan was a *Mongolian* figure NOT Chinese (Yes there *is* a difference) also was part of it.

(Random fact of the day: The reason the Qing Dynasty was so interested in ruling Tibet was because the Mongolian tribes actually swore fealty to the Dalai Lama in Lhasa.)

Oh and people who disagree with you and protest the lack of variety of female figures are not proponents of censorship. They're also not women who are "jealous". (Tell me something, what the hell do *I* have to feel jealous of about Power Girl. She's two-freakin' dimensional! Now the woman who *plays* Power Girl on that Classified fan video...I could be jealous of her. That woman was gorgeous. But I digress.)

You know what I'd like to see, a relatively flat chested female heroine using, as her super hero disguise, large inflatable boobs. It'd be hilarious. Seriously and there could be comic misadventure when one pops in battle. But no one would *ever* figure her out.

Hey it beats a pair of glasses. :-P

10 Comments:

  • At May 07, 2006 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know what I'd like to see, a relatively flat chested female heroine using, as her super hero disguise, large inflatable boobs.

    That's the best idea I've ever read.

    Can I steal it?

     
  • At May 07, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Hmm, I've got my own plans for that sort of character. But on the other hand, it'd be a blast to see anywhere so...

    yes.

    But I wanna see the final product. :-)

     
  • At May 07, 2006 5:12 PM, Blogger Jake said…

    I could swear I've seen that somewhere. It was those gel inserts rather than inflatables, but the idea was that putting big falsies in was part of the disguise.

    Of course, I can't remember where I saw it, so I guess I actually have nothing to contribute.

     
  • At May 07, 2006 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But I wanna see the final product

    This is one of the most embarrassing pictures I've ever done. I tried to combine some of my least favourite costume elements (headband, unnecessary straps, bare midriff, on-costume cameltoe, etc.)

    Umm....enjoy...I guess...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45544517@N00/142441680/

     
  • At May 07, 2006 10:47 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Wow, that's a lovely picture...I really like her hair and face.

    And that costume is deliciously horrible. :-)

     
  • At May 08, 2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Ferrous Buller said…

    Dammit, Kali! Stop cribbin' my notes in class!

    ;-)

    My idea wasn't inflatable boobs so much as padded costumes to make everyone - male and female - look more inspiring to the public. To the point where nobody can recognize the supers when they're out of costume because they look so, well, ordinary in street clothes.

     
  • At May 11, 2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    Harley Quinn used gel inserts when she was dressed as one of Lex Luthor's top-heavy bodyguards.

     
  • At May 11, 2006 4:18 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    ferrous: Oo, that one could be fun too.

    zaratustra: Heh, I think I vaguely remember that.

     
  • At November 08, 2006 9:34 PM, Blogger Elias said…

    That post was simply....awsome.

     
  • At January 23, 2007 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The boobs as pasrt of the costume/disguise was done by Robert Kirkman in his Capes back-up in teh great series Invincible.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home