Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Another reason why Lois is great:

I love Lois Lane. I'm not going to go into why much, because Ragnell did it so much better here..

I will say I've yet to see a tv or movie portrayal that does this character justice, (the closest I think was in the 1950s tv series, sadly enough.) But I will always love comic-Lois Lane, and this quote from JLA 16 shows exactly why:

"So, like I was saying, I found one of those horrible letters teenagers write to their grown-up selves. 'Dear Lois,' it said. 'By now you're probably married with two kids to some stupid guy and you've probably forgotten that you ever wanted to write and have an exciting life like Collette or Dorothy Parker...' You know what? I wanted to write back and tell this girl about my day. 'Dear Lois, wrong kiddo! I've won a Pulitzer. I'm married to Clark Kent, who happens to be Superman, and all three of us have been invited to the moon for dinner. How far out of the atmosphere did Dorothy Parker get?'"

That is Lois Lane. She loves her life. She's happy. She never compromised. Notice the first thing she lists is her Pulitzer. She never gave up her career. Then her husband. She could find love without ever giving up any of her dreams. And she can be proud of her husband's achievements without it ever taking away from her own.

Right there, reading that, you can feel her happiness, her pride, her triumph. She's an amazing woman and a fantastic role model for young women as she has been since the 1940s. She's great and it's so very obvious why Clark loves her.

And I love anyone who can make fun of their whiny-emo-teenage selves. Because we all were obnoxious little twits back then, and it never hurts to laugh back at ourselves.

3 Comments:

  • At December 31, 2005 7:51 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Angst isn't a bad thing when you're a teenager, just so long as it is channeled. Lois seems to have been able to channel it well, from what you described.

    Batman has also been able to channel it in his own psychotic way, but not as, shall we say, positively, as Lois.

    Also, Lois actually works and enjoys her work. Bruce, well, is more of a shadow of an employee (acting like he's working, but doesn't have to) - and I didn't mean that as a pun.

     
  • At January 01, 2006 12:26 AM, Blogger Melchior del DariĆ©n said…

    Thanks for the great quote.

    Oh man, I can't imagine what my teenaged self would have written to the future me. Actually, I can, which makes it that much worse. The horror! The horror!

    Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

     
  • At January 01, 2006 1:04 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Thanks for replying guys.

    Teenage angst is fine when you're a teenager, but ye gods...
    in retrospect... (even only 4-5 years later)...

    Part of life, laughing at the idiots we used to be. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home