Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

I am about to be very sexist here:

So, I've been reading Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghost series recently.  I've been enjoying it a lot.  Especially book 3 and afterward, when Mr. Abnett apparently realized the unit was a massive sausage fest and introduced a bunch of female characters.

The odd part about it though is that the series belongs to the Warhammer 40k series, of which I know nothing.  Well, I know there are hideously expensive miniatures and the setting seems to be some unholy orgy involving elements from Tolkien, Lovecraft, Space and the Inquisition.  I'm still not sure that I completely understand what's going on in the grander scheme.  That said, shit explodes and the lead character is manfully stoic and gets injured a lot.  So I'm enjoying it even without the background knowledge.

Some setting specific things do throw me though.  Like, for a period of time, the lead character uses what's called a chainsword.  I remember distinctly thinking: "that cannot be what it sounds like."  So I googled it.  And found this.  Apparently it is what it sounds like.

I stole the main image from that page so that you can see it too:


And this is where I'm going be sexist.

A man invented that.  I'm not saying I don't think it's awesome.  I do.  I love that it exists (fictionally), in its completely ridiculous, implausible awesomeness. But...that was designed by a man.

I'm just saying.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home