Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-nah!

So anyway, it might have happened that courtesy of a certain comic book convention, I now have episodes of the 1960s Batman tv show to enjoy.

I might have just watched the first episode. It might just have been awesome, if somewhat poor quality as it was clearly taped off the television, but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, I am noticing many more things watching this as an adult. Even though I've only made it through the first two episodes:

1) For such a light hearted show, Batman mentions his dead parents a lot.

2) I finally found a version of Dick Grayson I can actually stand.

2b) In fact, I like him so much that I kind of want to give the comics version (non-Batman version, even!) another chance!

2c) God, I won't know what to do with myself if I stop hating Nightwing!

2d) To be honest, I'd probably just keep making fun of him.

3) 1960s Riddler is kind of creepy

4) The Batman movie wasn't a fluke. Robin is the one who always figures out the Riddler's clues, to the point where Batman, as soon as he realizes there's a joke on the other end, just HANDS the phone to Robin.

5) I like how the Riddler's plan amounted to: 1) Drug Batman, 2) Kidnap Robin, 3) Dress female henchman up as Robin, 4) ...., 5) PROFIT!

5b) Burt Ward actually does a surprisingly good job playing a woman playing himself. His mannerisms and body language are noticeably different.

6) It's fun to see that villains suing superheroes is an idea that was gold even back in the sixties.

6b) As a note, I watched this with a colleague from work, and we started arguing back and forth about whether Batman CAN actually be subject to a lawsuit.

7) Aunt Harriet DOES have a purpose! She's Dick Grayson's aunt. I guess she didn't go into the whole circus thing, but it'd be awesome if she suddenly revealed a talent for acrobatics in a later ep!

8) Batman spends a lot of time lying to her about his and Dick's activities.

9) The Batusi is even awesomer in context.

10) Alfred is awesome, shock!

11) Dick Grayson is probably my favorite character. Damnit, I don't know how to DEAL with this.

6 Comments:

  • At June 25, 2011 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, glad you're enjoying it! I don't know if you're aware, but pretty much the full series is posted on Youtube at a decent quality.

     
  • At June 25, 2011 11:43 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I grew up on these, and loved them even then. My personal favorite was when they were sinking into quicksand on top of a giant wedding cake, and Robin yells out "holy matrimony, Batman!"

    So...so classic. Also, I really wanted one of those busts of Shakepeare.

    The Gotham City police are of no use whatsover.

    Frank Gorshin was a GOD!

    And Julie Newmar was a Goddess.

     
  • At June 25, 2011 5:17 PM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said…

    Welcome to the best live action Batman ever. The dead parents thing kind of fades after the first episodes though. And Gorshin was amazing...turned a couple appearance enemy into a major element of the bar-villians.

    enjoy!

     
  • At June 28, 2011 9:06 AM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said…

    I'm jealous -- I grew up with the series when it first aired, and actually haven't seen much of it since. You see, I was five or six when Denny and Neal changed the way I saw the Caped Crusader forever, and I think by the time I was nine, I was far too grown up to tolerate this silly, embarrassing Batman.

    Now that I'm finally mature enough to appreciate the the affectionate humor, the deconstruction, and the early pre-post-modernism, it's almost impossible to find the show.

    I do have the movie, though. Note that Gorshin's Riddler was so creepy and scary that the Joker is often seen backing away from him with a worried expression.

    Of course, Romero's Joker is a lot more sedate than the Mister J. we know today -- who seems to owe a great dea to Gorshin's Riddler, when you think about it.

     
  • At September 17, 2011 5:13 PM, Anonymous Terence said…

    I completely agree with everything you have printed here.
    site

     
  • At January 24, 2012 6:52 PM, Anonymous Jayson said…

    A great deal of effective information for me!
    abortion clinics | how much does liposuction cost | private schools massachusetts

     

Post a Comment

<< Home