Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm always kind of amazed when news organizations actually report comic book deaths as though it's actually some kind of news.

I mean, comics kill characters all the time, and really, the more "shocking" a death is, the more likely they'll be back eventually. (Everyone comes back except Jason Todd and Barry Allen! Oh, wait!)

Now, I have actually been spoiled as to which Fantastic Four member bites it (I don't mind spoilers, so I'm not complaining), but I haven't yet read the issue. I'm still not sure why it's so news-worthy. Captain America, yeah okay, maybe. This one? Doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

"Comic books continue to use same tired cliches as soap operas" never really seems like much of a headline to me.

4 Comments:

  • At January 27, 2011 10:44 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    That's actually a headline that I would pay to read. Too bad, it will never ever happen.

    As the resident comic book expert at work, people were actually coming over and asking about my take on it. I was a bit smug since I had predicted accurately the identity of the killee, which for some reason impressed people. Then I told them that the character would be back...of course.

    We'll see, I suppose. But that's the way to bet. I'm guessing that the reason the news stations picked this up, is because of the movies.

     
  • At January 27, 2011 2:39 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said…

    It's at this point in the conversation that I usually drop some one-liner about Marvel's upcoming Uncle Ben: REBIRTH miniseries.

     
  • At January 27, 2011 2:44 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said…

    Sally: I called the "victim", too -- on the simple grounds that it was "his turn".

    (Originally, I thought that he simply hadn't died before, but Bully's recent retrospective disabused me of that notion.)

    BTW, FF #587 was my Pick of the Week at my store -- not because of the hype, but because it was a well-done, well-paced story that was fairly suspenseful even when you KNEW the inevitable ending.

     
  • At January 28, 2011 5:00 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I read Bully's hilarious recap too, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember if Johnny had snuffed it before.

    So...it WAS his turn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home