Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Thinking about the Fantastic Four Death

I always find it amusing when comics are marketed with "One main character is going to DIE!" Personally, my prediction is Johnny Storm. It seems like it's his turn. But then I'm never right about these things. Seriously, you should go back through this blog and look for my predictions. I am invariably, inevitably wrong.

It's kind of the same way I should never be the navigator in a car ride to a new place. Because seriously? ALWAYS wrong. You could seriously get anywhere successfully going the exact opposite of where I suggest.

But anyway, I enjoy the marketing because well, I've always been a fan about the way that death means very little in comics. I know it annoys some people, but well, death is permanent enough in the real world I figure, that if a writer can think of a half-decent way to bring back a likeable character, I'm all for it. I really enjoyed the entire Captain America death and then rebirth arc.

That said, I've never really been that big on the Fantastic Four. I kind of liked the teen take in Ultimate, and I actually enjoyed the movies (mock my poor taste), so I don't know that I'll care that much. I'll be interested to see how it shakes out though.

On a purely biased note, I really really hope it's not Sue. Which means it probably will be. I know she's the glue that holds the team together, but it always strikes me as cliche to kill the token girl (even temporarily) for angst. It's sexist of me, but I'd rather they kill a guy. Besides, I could swear she's died a few times already, but I might be blurring stories together.

My vote would actually be for the awful robot from the sixties cartoon. Sure it'd be false advertizing, but would anyone really mind watching it die?

3 Comments:

  • At December 30, 2010 12:24 PM, Anonymous D said…

    I think they already killed HERBIE off, but I guess they can bring him back. And kill him again.

     
  • At December 30, 2010 4:00 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I've actually seen this splashed all over the news. Didn't the NON-Comic based Media learn its lesson after the death of Superman, the Death of Captain America, the Death of Robin, and all the OTHER Deaths?

    Actually, I'm rooting for Johnny to snuff it as well. It should be his turn. Although I would imagine that Doctor Doom has GOT to be praying for Reed's demise. Not to mention Namor.

    Whomever snuffs it will...inevitably...be back sooner or later.

     
  • At August 08, 2013 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "My vote would actually be for the awful robot from the sixties cartoon."

    1970's, not 1960's as the Human Torch was replaced by Herbie in the 1970's due to licensing issues that prevented Johnny from appearing on the 1970's/NBC incarnation of the Fantastic Four. I bet NBC was not happy about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home