Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Belated Star Trek photo reactions.

I'm kind of an incompetent geek. I'm actually really excited about the upcoming Star Trek movie (Mr. Spock was my very first adolescent crush, I think. Followed by Methos from Highlander. Then the Doctor. Or possibly Illya Kuryakin. I'm trying not to analyze what that says about my personality/taste) but I simply can't keep up to date on the news about it.

Blog@ linked pictures almost two weeks ago that I'd never seen! These!!!

I love that they kept the original uniforms. Yeah, they look cheesy. It's STAR TREK. We're not going to get the epitome of cool in anything going by the name of "Star Trek". Ain't happening.

Actually, given how much of sci-fi seems to involve leather or pseudo military garb, I kind of find the silly jumpsuits to be kind of retro-rebellious. If that makes sense. We don't need yer stinking cool and flattering costumes.

Spock looks AWESOME. Though he looks kind of like he's going to eat the brain of the guy he's gripping in that one picture. Then again, Spock's always been the "protests too much" sort with regards to emotions anyway. And he used to shout under Captain Pike.

...that came out dirtier than I intended, but it's late at night and I should be asleep.

I like the bridge scene, though I don't really like that Kirk's not in the full jumpsuit. I'm also not sure what I think of that guy as Kirk. He looks too dashingly normal. I just hope he can appropriately overact.

The rest of the cast looks phenomenal though. Urban's a little too recognizable to me in that group shot, but he looks awesome on the bridge. Chekov looks twelve (appropriately), Uhura looks smashing. Pegg might have the same problem as Urban for me, but I'll probably get over it. Maybe.

Honestly, this movie will have to be phenomenally bad, Salinger-Captain America bad, I suspect, for me not to have a blast when I see it.

12 Comments:

  • At October 29, 2008 6:05 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said…

    Thanks for posting this link, I had no idea these had been released.

    Liking the cast shot, although as great as Karl Urban was in Chronicles of Riddick and Xena (even when he was randomly recast as a caveman) I'm not sure whether someone that attractive can fill the boots of one of the gruffest, craggiest, bitterest, rascist characters in science fiction.

    We'll see, though. These photoes make me feel a lot more optimism for the whole production.

     
  • At October 29, 2008 6:07 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said…

    PS, Grammatical error. I'm not saying he can't be very pretty and pull of McCoy's massive rascism, just that Deforest Kelly was one rough looking old man and Urban is fantasically not.

     
  • At October 29, 2008 7:23 AM, Blogger jhota said…

    wait, Harold is playing Sulu? that's going to be tough for me to get my brain around.

    unless they make Sulu a pothead.

     
  • At October 29, 2008 9:28 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said…

    I like that they put Uhura in one of those short skirts from the original series. Fashion, clearly, is cyclical...

     
  • At October 29, 2008 12:00 PM, Blogger Saranga said…

    Well I'm insanely excited about this film now.

     
  • At October 29, 2008 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All I can think of is, Chris Pine's eyebrows are huge.

    HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!

     
  • At October 29, 2008 8:28 PM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    Love the old costumes, but they're limply going where man went forty years before. You can't recast the original crew, and shouldn't want to. Uhura's foxy, though.

     
  • At October 30, 2008 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always liked sulu . This one is cuter than the original and less gay. dmk

     
  • At November 01, 2008 4:40 AM, Blogger philippos42 said…

    Which Doctor?

     
  • At November 01, 2008 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don´t know if I´m happy with new Kirk and Spock. They somehow remind me on the german gay Star Trek Parodie "(T)raumschiff Surprize"

     
  • At November 01, 2008 8:23 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Fifth and Eighth. Yes the TV Movie was bad. But Paul McGann was very attractive.

     
  • At November 12, 2008 12:50 PM, Blogger davelevine said…

    Its like cast from Star Trek went to the fun house: everyone looks so thin. Kirk looks kind of silly sitting in the big ol' captain's chair on the bridge. I'll bet you could fit two of him in that chair if he didn't insist on spreading his legs like that. [insert joke here] :0

     

Post a Comment

<< Home