Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, May 26, 2008

You Tube is my Friend!

Okay, so I was looking up that guy that I mentioned in the previous post as a possible Cap-Candidate. Mostly because I don't think it's fair to judge someone's acting ability without having seen them try to act.

That's when I found out about World's Finest, wherein we get to see this fellow play Superman.



To be fair, it's only three minutes. So we can't really gauge his acting abilities. But I actually thought he was surprisingly decent. There were some moments where his line readings made me twitch a bit. But I like his expression work. I think a good director would be able to work with him and get something very good out of it.

I think expressions are underrated in their importance for an actor. Especially in a character like Cap or Superman who isn't particularly outwardly demonstrative. Iron Man or Batman can give the dramatic monologue, but Cap or Superman really can't. Instead, you need to be able to say as much with a wry smile, a tilt of the head, a somber frown and slouch of the shoulders.

That's also why I think in the end, certain roles require actors and certain roles don't necessarily. You need an actor to give a soliloquy. But I think when it comes to expression and body language, you just need someone experienced with expressing things through their bodies. And if you think about wrestling, modeling, or even crap like American Gladiators, a lot of these people have to do that sort of thing every day.

And he manages to wear the costume naturally, which actually is fairly important. A good performance can be derailed if the actor looks uncomfortable or awkward in the suit.

Your mileage may vary, but this makes me actually fairly optimistic that he could do a good job playing Captain America. He's already a better actor than Matthew McConaughey, in my opinion. :-P

Tangentially, I really like their Lois and Jimmy and would totally watch that movie if it existed.

Though the less said about their Batman, the better. :-)

5 Comments:

  • At May 26, 2008 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the botoxed face bothers me. it looks like he is made out of plastic.

    do like him blond and he would make for nice cap america. he has those stiff and naive facial expressions that would fit with cap.

    -michael

     
  • At May 26, 2008 11:41 PM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I always thought that he played a pretty good Superman, esp for a fantrailer :D

    I wish that was a real movie, I wanna see it :( Esp Luthor in the suit :DDDD That looks so cool! XD

    Have you seen the Grayson fantrailer? :o I like the old Superman in it too :D

     
  • At May 27, 2008 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cap and Superman don't need to give dramatic monologues? Ummm... hmmm. Nothing about love of country or the greater parts of humanity? Yeah, I think maybe that's not right. I think it's much less likely to have Batman soliquizing than Cap. Cap's all about inspiring and rallying the troops... and surely we don't expect that to come from the silly costume.

     
  • At May 27, 2008 7:51 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Actually, you're kind of proving my point there. There's a huge difference between inspiring speeches and dramatic monologues.

    Inspiring speeches are designed to get a crowd riled up and enthusiastic. Which if you think about it is exactly what wrestlers and Gladiators and the like DO. They play the crowd.

    Dramatic monologues are things that reveal through speech the ultimate conflict of the character. Batman actually gets quite a few of these for all that he's a curt fellow. All you have to do is read Batman's caption boxes to see one. Or, for that matter, anything he ends up saying to Kim Basinger, Nicole Kidman or Katie Holmes, depending on the movie. It takes an actor to make that sort of thing not sound stupid. Because it's about the conflict and emotion, not inspiring a crowd.

    It's much less likely that Cap or Superman would have that sort of dramatic conversation with Sharon or Lois or whoever the love interest may be. (Especially since Cap's movie is presumably in WWII and thus the only possible love interest to work with is Peggy Carter, anyway.) They don't need that kind of soliloquy to express their character conflict/angst or show the hidden layers beneath the brooding dark "I am the night" sort of thing.

    Though really, I still think the best comparison to Cap is Wonder Woman. Lynda Carter never had to give much in the way of dramatic monologues, though she did have to occasionally say a motivating-type speech. And she was fine with it, for all that she was more beauty queen than actress at that point.

    So ultimately, I would still file Cap as a role that doesn't require an actor so much as someone who can play a crowd, act naturally with his body, and pull off a goofy costume. I don't think that lets out a wrestler, Gladiator or athlete.

     
  • At May 27, 2008 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The acting is actually pretty decent here--a good director could definitely get something out of any of these people. And, visually, this guy makes other actors look sort of pathetic. :)

    I'm kind of over big name actors in superhero movies. You know it's bad when you enjoy the fan films more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home