Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Interesting link...

This link is pretty interesting, even though, I think, honestly, I don't find it as entertaining as a lot of folks seem to.

I mean, okay, there is something at least somewhat amusing about heroes in less than their usual forms (personally, I've always enjoyed gender-swap type stuff. Seeing girl-Superman and boy-Wonder Woman, et al, I'm like that though).

Certainly they're well drawn but...

I don't really get a sense of the characters from them, if that makes sense at all. I mean, take the Aquaman picture on Blog@. Sure it's a funny concept. But I can't help but think of how funny Aquaman is as a character sometime. Like when he has to kiss Diana in the fairytale-enacting story of JLA, or when Guy Gardner doesn't even seem to notice the hook and goes "What the hell's up with the hair?"

These scenes are funny because of Aquaman's character traits. Because of that arrogance and regality and dignity. Kind of like Hal Jordan's funny because he's a self-absorbed twit, or Batman's funny because the man can do anything to an extent bordering on ridiculous.

I guess...there's nothing about those pictures that really evoke the superheroes for me aside from the costume. So to me, it's less like these are humorous depictions of elderly superheroes as they are random people playing dress-up.

It's weird, but I do think there's a difference. The best jokes and parodies are the ones that bear the closest resemblance to their source material. These, sadly, don't quite deliver for me.

Oh well. His blog is still pretty neat even if I can't read Italian. (I think that's Italian, right?) And his other art looks pretty nifty.

And for all my complaints, the Doc Octopus one does make me giggle in spite of myself. Hee.

3 Comments:

  • At May 16, 2008 9:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I agree with your idea about Aquaman's inherent capacity for amusement. Do you remember the bits in JLA: Year One,where he's always mumbling, because sound carries better underwater? AND the bit with Guy and the comment about his hair, is one of my favorite Warrior moments.

    But I have to admit that the one with Namor just cracks me up.

     
  • At May 17, 2008 10:39 AM, Blogger Tom Foss said…

    Agreed all over, Kalinara. They feel more like jokes made by an outsider, someone familiar with what the characters look like and their basic powers, not their personalities.

    About the best element was Superman wearing glasses. I could totally see that, whether just out of force of habit, or necessity, or as an example of the integration of his identities.

     
  • At May 17, 2008 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah. I looked at those and was wondering "Why is Spider-Man wearing Depends on the outside of his costume?"

    Superman or Batman - it would kind of work because they wear the underwear on the outside of their tights... but Spidey doesn't nor did he ever!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home