Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Panel I like: GL 23

I like panels that make me think, I like panels that make me think two things at once.

I REALLY like panels that make me think two things at once, neither of which involve any substance what-so-ever.

Take this panel from GL 23:



Thought #1: Whoa! Did he actually snap his NECK? That looks like a "SNA" after all! Considering he's up and about later, he must either a) not have finished or b) they're bringing back Guy's regeneration.

I'm hoping for "b". Not the rest of the Vuldarian stuff as the shapeshifting and gun creating was really silly, but having a lead Lantern character able to regenerate totally allows for even more of that gratuitous violence I love so much since we know he'll get back up! (Sadly for my lust for bloodshed, it's probably a)

(Hey, I wonder if the ring can't be used to temporarily activate latent Vuldarian genes, because that'd come in handy...)

Either way, it probably won't affect their upcoming partnership though, what's an attempted neck-snap between friends.

Especially since Hal ripped out his eye...Guy's surprisingly tolerant about physical maiming...


Thought #2: Okay, you get godhood and the first thing you do is cut your hair, you get demonhood and you get a manicure.

Not helping the whole metrosexual thing here, Kyle sweetie...

8 Comments:

  • At September 16, 2007 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Could someone PLEASE tell me what this whole alien gene splice/warrior thing is about;I think I missed sometime HUGE!

     
  • At September 16, 2007 9:44 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Okay, well, essentially after Hal turned Parallaxy and absorbed the yellow ring, Guy went on a quest for powers.

    As it turns out there was an alien shapeshifter race that came to earth after a big war looking to breed with humans, first attempts went a little awry, so they did genetic engineering instead for a more long term solution.

    Thus, some generations later, Guy. He got some silly gun-growing, shapeshifting powers, plus very useful regeneration. :-)

    In GL Rebirth, when Hal/Parallax comes back, his powers go crazy, explode a lot, and then go dormant. Hence Guy has a ring again. :-)

    It's actually better than it sounds, but sane it really isn't. :-P

     
  • At September 16, 2007 10:39 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said…

    I don't see why Guy couldn't still have those powers. The ring doesn't seem to inhibit the natural abilities of any of the other species that are Lanterns (though I don't know what unusual powers other Lanterns have), so no reason Guy shouldn't be able to piece himself back together.

    Look at me, talking like I know something about Green Lanterns. Ha!

     
  • At September 16, 2007 1:27 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    For about ten seconds I thought that Kylellax really HAD snapped Guy's neck, and I was busy shrieking. I get very vocal sometimes when reading my comics, which is why my family has learned the hard way to leave me alone.

    Then I realized that they didn't finish the "sna...". I figured that Guy was just going to have a really sore neck. Then Boodika grabs him by the collar, and they are riding on the back of Ion for a short amount of time.

    So I suppose that there is a third alternative. Perhaps Ion healed him? However, I do think that I prefer the whole regenerative ability, as you postulated. It would come in so handy.

     
  • At September 16, 2007 1:28 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Me again. Did you notice that there are some great scans of Guy in this issue? I also greatly enjoyed the tentacle one.

    Heh.

     
  • At September 17, 2007 2:35 AM, Blogger Sheana said…

    Guy Fan as I am, I'm embarrased to admit that I missed/forgot a few details myself.

    I can't remember, how did Guy get "un-brain damaged" again? Did he regenerate?

    'Cos if his Happy Meal is still missing a fry or two, I imagine the regeneration could probably grow some brain cells back as well.

     
  • At September 17, 2007 2:46 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I'm pretty sure he healed when the Vuldarian powers activated (same as the eye that Hal ripped out).

    Though now that I think about it, they may not have actually SAID that. But since there's a clear characterization difference before and after, and regeneration makes for a convenient reason, I'm sticking to that until I get the chance to reread and confirm. :-)

     
  • At January 10, 2012 1:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The guy getting his neck snapped looks eerily like Jensen Ackles...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home