Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Trekness!

Okay, I admit, I have a lot of doubts about the upcoming Star Trek movie. Especially given the new cast. I tend to honestly think that the awesomeness of Original Flavor Star Trek came about because of a lot of different factors. Among them the utter cheesiness and having William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy as leads.

I have a lot of trouble imagining them revisited for the present day. Especially after the mediocrity of Voyager and the utter awfulness of Enterprise. But will the Trek geeks really be happy with anything?

But then again, I have to admit, I don't tend to mind respun origin stories. (Not a huge fan of outright reboots, but redone origins tend to be fun.) I like the post Crisis versions of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman better than most of the pre-crisis versions. With the exception of Golden Age WW, but I figure she's mostly Hippolyta anyway. :-P

I also really tend to enjoy seeing modern takes on older stories and flashbacks to older events in modern day comics so I might be the ideal audience for this sort of thing. It'll really REALLY depend on the cast.

Especially Spock. Spock was my first crush. (I was a baby nerd.) I wanted to marry Spock. Or be Spock. So I've got tremendous amounts of fannish entitlement feelings toward Our Favorite Half-Vulcan. I was ready to hate whoever they chose right good.

But they're choosing Sylar (from Heroes). And you know...that's actually a really good casting choice. Really good. He's an attractive man, but with just enough weirdness/quirkiness that suits the character. He's apparently very tall and certainly appropriately saturnine.

And he's a pretty decent, flexible actor. Though considering that the original cast never really got to play up their acting strengths, I'm not sure that's really a necessity.

I can go for this. It might be good after all. Or at least entertaining. :-)

(Also on an unrelated tangent, the more I read of Iron Man, the more the casting choice makes me giggle. Robert Downey Jr. = Best. Choice. Evar.)

4 Comments:

  • At July 28, 2007 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oddly enough, my pick for Tony Stark would be a 20-year-younger Billy Dee Williams.

     
  • At July 28, 2007 7:41 PM, Blogger Captain Infinity said…

    I personally think this may be the shot in the arm that the Trek franchise needs, assuming they cast the roles properly. I think they're off to a promising start. Sylar seems to be a good choice for young Spock and since Nimoy is also in the film it looks as if they're not going for a wholesale reboot.

    And even though no one asked, I'm hoping they cast Daniel Dae Kim as Sulu.

     
  • At July 28, 2007 9:03 PM, Blogger ComicBookGoddess said…

    I don't know - I'm pretty sure, from his preformance in Heroes, that the Sylar guy is going to be able to handle Spock. Mmmm. :)

     
  • At July 31, 2007 12:20 AM, Blogger Hale of Angelthorne said…

    See, I would've like to see a Battlestar Galactica-style remake of TOS, though not as severe. Redo the interior (though not the exterior) of Enterprise to bring it up to date, maybe give them Wrath of Khan uniforms since those tend to be fan favorites, and then they could launch a series that is part new episodes, part remakes/updates of TOS favorites. That would be fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home